Do U Trim Handgun Brass? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

Do U Trim Handgun Brass?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 07:41 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default "Old Man"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
I agree with you BillyBob.. Until I read it here in this forum, I was spending/wasting time trimming all of my cases before reloading them. Now, like you, I will only trim the "boomer" cases where the roll crimp is desirable. No confusion for me, I will just prefer consistency in my magnum loads.
From your screen name, I like you think some wisdom comes with age..But..The smart ones will learn something new everyday...

Old 02-24-2010, 08:05 PM   #12

Easy there copper! I took your redeeming quality comment without any bruses. That is why there is a big smiley face after my statemnet about (me) having no redeeming qualities. Which, by the way, is totally false! I have an endless list of redeeming qualities. Just as me!

I meant this thread to educate those who do not know what some of the rest of us may know. I must say that is now appears I failed miserably in that attempt. But then, it's not the first time I have "missed the target"

Old 02-25-2010, 01:25 AM   #13

Liked 42 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 239

I wish I had saved the article about 40 S&W cases not changing in length to any great degree after many reloads. I've bought a lot of once fired brass and after checking a large number of them I came to the conclusion I was wasting my time as they were all within case standards. I have thrown out a few due to bulged cases that had a radial depression near the base inside the cases after resizing. As to OAL I have checked as to what would feed through the XDm or Cougar magazines. Accurate Powders Handload manual list 40 S&W OAL 1.115" to 1.135" and Hodgdon manual lists all 40 S&W at an OAL of 1.125". 1.135" for my Cougar leaves little room, bullet point and shell rim rubbing and the potential for sticking or excessive friction could certainly cause a failure to feed properly. The 1.125" figure is one that will more than likely feed in any brand of pistol in 40 S&W. As an aside a few days ago I ran across info on a Push Through case resizer which can take care of cases with a minor bulges before using the regular pistol dies. Lee's Factory Sales has what they call it The Bulge Buster Factory Sales 2010 , I think the article I read was for a different brand but I'm thinking it would be worth getting one. I would still check inside the resized cases to make sure there wasn't any stretch depression that could lead to a blow out.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:10 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3456 Times on 1780 Posts
Likes Given: 374

I have a Magma Case Master Jr. It sizes from rim to mouth. I process all striker fired brass through it regardless of whether they were Glock, Sigma, XD or M&P fired. It works well. I have conversions to do 9 X 19, 40/.357 Sig/10mm and .45.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:57 PM   #15

The only brass I ever trim is brass that comes out of my revolvers.. and that is only in 357 magnum and 10 mm since those are the calibers of the revolvers.. for 38 spl and 40 S&W, I never trim anything since well, unless those cases stretch to their respective longer calibers, there really is no need..

As for trimming for a semi auto.. I've never run into any issue with any semi auto.. they shoot and shoot fine at the distances I want them to.. The most issue I have is not so much case length but case width.. ie, glocked brass. Length has never been an issue in any semi auto I have shot as far as accuracy or lockup.. If you want to trim, go right ahead.. it's not going to hurt.. but most of us would rather waste the time behind the trigger rather than at the loading bench.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:35 PM   #16

Interesting reading. Even though the OAL can be made the same in untrimmed handgun brass with different lengths, wouldn't the amount of empty space in the round vary, and cause enough difference in pressure to affect accuracy of a handgun round, at least a little?

Old 02-26-2010, 09:00 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

If the OAL is the same, then the internal case volume is the same.

I used to be (anally) worried about trimming 9mm and .45 ACP cases. Robo cleared this up for me several months back. I did a bunch of case length measuring before and after re-sizing and on all kinds of brass (known new factory, my old re-loads, and range pick-ups). While there is some variation in case lengths I rarely find any cases in excess of the maximum case length. I now check for excess length (I throw those few away) and do not worry about precise trimming to length. Like the prior poster, I now spend less time in the reloading process and more time at the range!

Old 02-27-2010, 12:03 AM   #18

Liked 42 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
Interesting reading. Even though the OAL can be made the same in untrimmed handgun brass with different lengths, wouldn't the amount of empty space in the round vary, and cause enough difference in pressure to affect accuracy of a handgun round, at least a little?
If you were to load all the same type and weight bullets to the same OAL there would be very little volumn difference, these differences could be because of variations of the bottom of the case rim as some may become a bit
coned from extraction when fired, the only other thing that could make a difference is some Federal cases have the flash holes shouldered down in the inside whereas most other cases just have the hole. I haven't read anything about why Federal does this but it might be to get the primer flame into the powder quicker and more forceful. I have never had problems with Federal cases, they always seem to be very uniform and is one of my favorite cases for handloading. The most varied of case length I've found over the years has been Remington-Peters .44 mag. I have found Winchester cases to have been very uniform over the years I've handloaded and are my second favorite case for reloading. Federal did a lot of inovative changes for the Olympics shooting of the 22 rim fire a number of years back and at that time Federal Premium Gold 22 LR was found to be the most accurate made at that time. I read an article that had pics of the base of the 22 case which had a small portion of the center set in about the thickness of the rim, their claim is that it helped direct the primer flame more directly into the core of the powder giving greater shot to shot uniformity. So it may be that some of that technology rubbed off on Federals other calibers. I've used their Premium brand in 25'06 and 30'06 for hunting and found them to be very accurate.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:14 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default To trim or not to trim.

I can't answer that with out knowing the specs on this specific load. Every expert hand loader should know what the tolerance is on oal of case. Seems you might have picked up spent brass that was all ready reworked. Or this is product from company that has no Q C. Some manufacterers Might have a + or - .030 tolerance on there OAL. Suggest you research more on the exacting tol. for said load. If you cant find it. Do what Makes you Happy and most of all safe. consistency starts with the exact amount of power in each reload. Be consistant. God Bless. Wills in da swamp in La. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends . J. C.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:58 PM   #20

{every expert hand loader should know what the tolerance is on oal case length}

I have been searching, and asking, for just that information, Will. So far no one can tell me.