Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Do not use reloads in glocks?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 03:06 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Robocop10, 4x will get me alot further then 2x's as I originally planned.. Do I have to get the bulge out each time? I would think working the case over and over would cause the case to brittle faster theoretically but I prefer your real world experience over my theory :-)

Old 01-10-2013, 03:09 AM   #42

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderjw View Post
So if I use an aftermarket barrel, I can use lead AND don't have to worry about unsupported cartridge?
Lone wolf makes an aftermarket barrel they sale at midway for $99 and in the discreption it states you can shoot lead with no issues

Old 01-10-2013, 03:27 AM   #43

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

One thing not mentioned about this cheap rifling is how much more accuracy can be had with a pistol barrel,, and as was mentioned greatly reduces wear. My Hk USP has poly rifling and is a tack driver. just wanted to mention accuracy,, as for me I don't reload, yet, and I always shoot copper jacketed.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:31 AM   #44

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear304inc
One thing not mentioned about this cheap rifling is how much more accuracy can be had with a pistol barrel,, and as was mentioned greatly reduces wear. My Hk USP has poly rifling and is a tack driver. just wanted to mention accuracy,, as for me I don't reload, yet, and I always shoot copper jacketed.
When comparing my g23 to my XD45 on paper. The only way I can tell what gun shot what group is from the size of the holes.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:52 AM   #45

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15

When comparing my g23 to my XD45 on paper. The only way I can tell what gun shot what group is from the size of the holes.
well then again I was talking about a USP with polygonal, maybe poly rifling techniques differ for manufacturers. I assumed they'd be pretty similar. Maybe your just a crack shot with the xd. Which have you put more rounds through?

Old 01-10-2013, 05:59 AM   #46
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2550 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickwashere View Post
Robocop10, 4x will get me alot further then 2x's as I originally planned.. Do I have to get the bulge out each time? I would think working the case over and over would cause the case to brittle faster theoretically but I prefer your real world experience over my theory :-)
I process every striker fired case every time. The bulge must be removed to insure reliable feeding/chambering in a non-Glock barrel. The other part of the issue is the sloppy tolerance of the Glock chamber. They have generous dimensions to allow for reliable feeding in field conditions. This allows the brass to swell more than other (tighter chambered) guns. Since I want my ammo to function in any gun, I make sure the ammo is near perfect. If you are running them back through the same gun, it will not be as much of an issue. Think neck sizing in a rifle

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #47

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post

I process every striker fired case every time. The bulge must be removed to insure reliable feeding/chambering in a non-Glock barrel. The other part of the issue is the sloppy tolerance of the Glock chamber. They have generous dimensions to allow for reliable feeding in field conditions. This allows the brass to swell more than other (tighter chambered) guns. Since I want my ammo to function in any gun, I make sure the ammo is near perfect. If you are running them back through the same gun, it will not be as much of an issue. Think neck sizing in a rifle
Ok that makes perfect since.. I will be running these loads through multiple guns so the bulge needs to go.. Thank you

Old 01-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #48

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear304inc

well then again I was talking about a USP with polygonal, maybe poly rifling techniques differ for manufacturers. I assumed they'd be pretty similar. Maybe your just a crack shot with the xd. Which have you put more rounds through?
I'm just saying I do not notice a difference between the two types of riffling as far as accuracy. I'm definitely not a crack shot at all. I'm just the kind of person who can shoot good with just about anything. Jack of all trades master of none. And I have more rounds through my XD.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:58 PM   #49

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Ok this has got me thinking. I have a G22 gen 3 and a G21 for use with IDPA. I was actually in this section to learn what I need to reload (just bought a hornady lock and load progressive).

What do I need to do to my g21 and g22 so I shoot FMJ reloads?

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 01-11-2013, 01:02 AM   #50
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7659 Times on 4419 Posts
Likes Given: 9875

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
Ok this has got me thinking. I have a G22 gen 3 and a G21 for use with IDPA. I was actually in this section to learn what I need to reload (just bought a hornady lock and load progressive).

What do I need to do to my g21 and g22 so I shoot FMJ reloads?
FMJ's should run fine, no leading problem there. You should probably get an aftermarket barrel that had better support to minimize the bulge, and then get a bulge buster for processing your ammo. Lone Wolf has barrels for around $100.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.