Do not use in firearms with ported barrels ??? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Do not use in firearms with ported barrels ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 10:53 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Plated bullets look cheap. The jacket is thin and irregular, with many imperfections.

Actual Jacketed bullets are smooth and uniform.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 10-08-2012, 06:23 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7142 Times on 3954 Posts
Likes Given: 6891

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
Plated bullets look cheap. The jacket is thin and irregular, with many imperfections.

Actual Jacketed bullets are smooth and uniform.
True. They look like sh!t. But they shoot quite well indeed.

“There aren't any great men. There are just great challenges that ordinary men like you and me are forced by circumstances to meet.”http://thinkexist.com/i/sq/as0.gif Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr. (Bull) quote

Old 10-08-2012, 11:08 PM   #13

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Plated bullets have come a long way since they first appeared on the market. My Berry's 9mm 124 gr. thick plated HBRN bullets can be fired at 1450 fps. so there they can be loaded to the same velocity as equal weight FMJ's.

As far as appearance I think they look just as good as the FMJ's. Berry's 124 gr. plated on L Win. 124 gr. FMJ on the R.

Last edited by res45; 10-08-2012 at 11:11 PM.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:32 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6556 Times on 3487 Posts
Likes Given: 489

plated berry's is pretty much all i use. i use them at 1400ish fps out of a ported 460 rowland. there is some backblast with burnt powder hitting my face time to time. so if im hit with flecks of copper better that than flecks of lead from a uncovered bullet base. when i shoot the rowland i use wrap around eye protection so none of that has a chance to get to my eyes.

but since porting and compensators tend to redirect blast to the rear (at the shooter) they are prolly lawyering up. thats the only thing i can think of. i sure wouldnt want to fire a regular open lead based fmj out of a ported gun. vaporized lead gasses suck

plated bullets do not shed their jackets. ive had plenty of standard open base fmj come apart on impact. a lot of indoor ranges wont let you use anything but tmj or plated bullets for hazmat reasons

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 10-08-2012 at 11:34 PM.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #15

Liked 702 Times on 491 Posts
Likes Given: 1109

http://www.powerbondbullets.com/

Great bullets.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #16

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

What confuses me is what is the difference between "plated" and "jacketed"? Most of the bullets that are still intact when I clean my dirt pile are 9mm. I use WWB for 9mm practice. There is no exposed lead on the bottom of a WWB. I have never bought a TMJ in my life. Friends might have shot TMJ but not that I have noticed.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 10-09-2012 at 12:14 PM.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6556 Times on 3487 Posts
Likes Given: 489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post
What confuses me is what is the difference between "plated" and "jacketed"? Most of the bullets that are still intact when I clean my dirt pile are 9mm. I use WWB for 9mm practice. There is no exposed lead on the bottom of a WWB. I have never bought a TMJ in my life. Friends might have shot TMJ but not that I have noticed.
Tmj is total metal jacket. Plated bullets fall under that description. Fmj that is covered up completely is a plated bullet in most cases.

I believe but not 100% sure winchester whitbix is plated. I dont use much if any shelf ammo except 380acp as i dont shoot a lot of it and my main sd round is winchester white box fmj 380. It sure looks plated to me.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 10-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #18

I have Berry's and Ranier Ballistics plated bullets that I load for a Glock 20C. They shoot great as long as you keep them slow. Once you pass a certain speed, the compensator ports will tear a chunk out of the side of the jacket. Don't remember offhand what that speed is.

There's a reason God gave us two ears and only one mouth.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:22 AM   #19

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by delbert View Post
I have Berry's and Ranier Ballistics plated bullets that I load for a Glock 20C. They shoot great as long as you keep them slow. Once you pass a certain speed, the compensator ports will tear a chunk out of the side of the jacket. Don't remember offhand what that speed is.
Interesting

Old 10-12-2012, 04:38 AM   #20

Liked 1434 Times on 811 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

It's a cover their azz statement.

It's directed to PD guns.

Never use a ported gun for Personal Defense!

In low light situations, you blind the shooter.

DO NOT USE ported barrels in any carry scenario.

Trust this old man on this.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello