Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Do not use in firearms with ported barrels ??? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/do-not-use-firearms-ported-barrels-73678/)

Buggz 10-04-2012 03:54 AM

Do not use in firearms with ported barrels ???

Hello

I recently bought Federal Champion FMJ .45 rounds

I bought five of the 100 round value packs

Once I got home I was reading the box and it flat out says:
" Do not use in firearms with ported barrels or ported recoil compensators"

I have my new RIA 1911 and also my Glock 21C with has a ported compensator...

So apparently, I am only going to shoot these through my RIA..

Now my question is, why would the box say that? they are 230 grain bullets... are they just that cheap? they won't have enough blow back power with a ported barrel to work the slide?

I figured the price was too good to be true, but I guess my 1911 will get a lot of action though

Any thoughts will be helpful, Thanks

kytowboater 10-04-2012 06:19 AM

My thoughts would be the reduced powder charge.

jim8115 10-05-2012 03:02 PM

I believe it is because they are actually plated, not jacketed. Seems like I got some of them for a 9mm once..

JIM

Old_Crow 10-05-2012 06:00 PM

I would call federal and find out why they can't be shot in a ported barrel. They might shoot flames out of the ports or they might be under powered. I would bet flames are the problem. You can't sue an ammo manufacturer because the gun won't function.

Buggz 10-06-2012 06:34 AM

That's not too bad of an idea
I think I will give them a call, and will update the post with an answer
Thanks everyone

willfully armed 10-06-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim8115 (Post 965310)
I believe it is because they are actually plated, not jacketed. Seems like I got some of them for a 9mm once..

JIM

They are plated. Small amounts of the jacket could possibly shear off.

locutus 10-06-2012 02:55 PM

I wouldn't shoot lead bullets through a ported weapon either.

Use them in your 1911. I'm not a great fan of the 1911, but this is one area where it shines.

When I shot bullseye competition with a Colt Gold Cup NM, I used 10X more lead bullets than jacketed in practice. The plated are as good, or maybe even a little better. Use them in your 1911 and enjoy!:)

res45 10-07-2012 10:49 AM

Most likely there plated bullets or there is some issue with the bullets stripping jacketed material off as it passes by the ports. FMJ bullets generally have an open base with exposed lead while plated bullets are fully encapsulated by the copper plating.

Although the box says FMJ it could be plated I pulled some bullets for CCI Blazer brass 115 gr. RN and it was loaded with plated bullets.

willfully armed 10-07-2012 02:41 PM

They ARE plated.

Buggz 10-08-2012 04:14 AM

Ok so what I understand now (excuse my ignorance on the subject) is that they are lead tip bullets plated with thin metal
that if I shoot them out my Glock, pieces of that thin metal may sperate and come out the ports
So I will only be shooting them from my 1911

Other than the box saying do not shoot for ported barrel, are there any other ways to know if the bullets I'm buying are plated?

Thanks everyone