Disrespecting Lee Reloading Gear - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Disrespecting Lee Reloading Gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2010, 07:51 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Oh I cant believe I missed the fact the OP has a whopping post count on here and is already starting in on Tango. Not the best move I'd say. good luck with this.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:29 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My two presses - a single stage and a three-hole turret - are both Lee, and work well for me. I'm up to 17 different calibers on their own turrets now, so changing to another brand press would be ridiculous.
I prefer Lee handgun dies on the average, but 90% of my rifle dies are RCBS - I personally do not like the danged Lee "Pop goes the weasel" decapper pins! Yes I have broken a few RCBS pins - but I keep lots of spares, they are cheap.
My two Lee Perfect Powder Measures work for me too - no need for anything else. For accurate rifle loading, I use the Lee scoops and trickle up on a Lee beam scale. I sometimes use a different company's digital, but generally just to double-check the Lee's reading.
Lee has by far the better hand primer tool! I have two - one for large primers and one for small. Minimises changes. I do have the RCSB tool - much less 'user friendly' and those plastic feed blocks are just waiting to fail!

So I remain a staunch Lee guy.......

Old 08-20-2010, 11:57 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've got a Lee 4 hole turret press and the only thing I dont like about it is the powder measure. It works and maintains a steady charge but I just don't like it. You have to keep it clean and make sure it doesn't get static cling or your charge will vary. Outside of that I have loaded thousands of rounds in various calibers that have all worked just fine. I'm not a competition shooter, I'm a hunter so minute of game is all I need although I do strive for the tightest groups I can manage.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-20-2010, 12:56 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Spitty, when I'm was having problems with static cling on my powder funnel, I wipe it with a dryer sheet. Doesn't seem to have adverse effects on the powder and leave my ammo smelling clean and fresh.

Seriously, works pretty good.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:00 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Haven't tried the dryer sheet. I usually just wash them in a little warm soapy water once in a while, let them dry and haven't had a problem. The dryer sheet would be faster though.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-20-2010, 04:52 PM   #16

None of this is to disparage any individual but the vast majority of Lee bashing is invalid.

I own presses and dies, etc, from most all makers. I find some features I prefer in individual items by brand but I don't drink any makers Kool-Aid, if I do my part they all work fine in my shop. I can't help but wonder what drives some people to bash all things red in an appearant knee-jerk reaction to the mention of the name. Snobs? Klutzs? Misinformed or inexperieced? Dunno, but it's there.

Lee makes things to a different price point than others. The basic effectiveness of compariable items is generally equal to any others but at a much lower cost. In fact, I am convienced that any skilled loader can reload equal quality ammo on virtually any press made if he uses the same dies and components. And no dies are universally of high precision, etc. For the price, Lees external fit and finish of some items can't be expected to match the nice look of Redding but equating a external shiney finish to functional quality is silly.

I have found Lee's tools usually work well (In some instances they're actually superior to other vastly more expensive brands!), but somethings do sometimes require a bit of some deburring, lubricating and/or tweaking and adjusting for best function. Clearly, those people with a modest amount of mechanical aptitude have a head start with that sort of thing. People with low mechanical aptitude are generally better served by paying more to avoid Lee's occasional bumps but those with the skills to deal with it can certainly benefit, greatly, from Lee's modest price point. I like most of Lee's tools but I wouldn't suggest them for my very smart but very klutzy Federal judge son-in-law who can easily afford anything he wishes!

Bottom line, everyone will be best served by purchasing tools for the features they need, and the mechanical skill they have, for the tasks they will perform. Lee is a valid lower cost option (not "CHEAP"!) but no brand is any assurance of ammunition quality if the loader has little skill in using his tools.

Last edited by Fuzzball; 08-20-2010 at 05:31 PM.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:37 PM   #17

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

I had the following and they were all craptastic.

Lee hand primer broke after little use (under 50 rounds) bad casting in the body.

Lee Universal decapping die. Decapping pin broke after about 20 rounds.

Lee universal shell holders. 60% or more of my brass wouldn't fit in the shell holders. NOT THE BRASS the shell holders were machined WRONG.

My brother has a lee classic cast press snapped in half while resizing new 222 rem brass.

Nothing i have ever owned lasted more than about 30 minutes of use. So to me that means they make an inferior product. That is over $50 of stuff with shipping that was worthless and didn't last. I called Lee and they would not make it right so therefor I tell people about my experience.

Use them if you like. I will not.

LEE makes CRAPPY Products.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:02 PM   #18

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Well, Tango, I won't go so far as to say all Lee reloading equipment is junk but i have been getting away from it somewhat. All my pistol carbide dies and factory crimping and sizing dies are Lee. I did buy some Lee .300 WM, .223 and .30-06 dies, but also have the same in RCBS. My RCBS do seem to make better ammo, but maybe it's just my imagination.
What really irritated me was that when I broke a decapping pin in my Lee .223 die, I discovered that it can't be replaced as can RCBS. Therefore, i will not buy anymore of their dies, and I will not collect anymore once fired .223 range brass unless it is commercial or LC.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:45 PM   #19

Well Tango, I suppose if I had your luck (?) I'd agree.

Last edited by Fuzzball; 08-20-2010 at 10:56 PM.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:48 PM   #20

But, I've had two Lee handheld Autoprime tools, one each for large and small caps, with their shell holder set plus an Autoprime II since '87 and have yet to see a single problem. I've had two Lee "Reloader" presses since '90, and a "Handpress" since '95, no problems. Have about a dozen sets of Lee dies, including collet neck sizers and case crimpers, all work well. A Lee "Safety Scale" since '06 I hate for being hard to read but it's both very sensitive and quite accurate. An old set of their powder dippers. Assorted Lee case length trimmers. And all that represents less than 10% of my reloading tools, all of which work great for me so, our opinions differ.

I have a young friend who owns a Lee Classic Cast press that is stronger and more wear resistant than my Rock Chucker II. And it handles spent primers MUCH better. Since "factory new" cases are smaller in every dimension than sized cases it's hard to imagine how any press could snap in half "sizing" it. That's a puzzle. Sorta.

Anyone who "thinks" one brand of dies loads better ammo on average, not by a single example, than another is probably wrong. I've actually tested the output of my dies and quite a few others borrowed for experimenatation and found that individual dies of the same brand will vary as much as between brands.

Last edited by Fuzzball; 08-20-2010 at 10:58 PM.