Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   discolored 5.56 X 45 brass (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/discolored-5-56-x-45-brass-75177/)

redscho 10-27-2012 08:38 PM

discolored 5.56 X 45 brass

1 Attachment(s)
I just received a 200 round order of 5.56 X 45mm 55 gr FMJBT - Federal brown box (XM193) and the brass is quite discolored at the bullet end. Is this an indication of a problem?

redscho 10-27-2012 08:46 PM

I got an answer from the supplier - No problem. :D

Good afternoon Red,
Thanks for the message. This discoloration and tarnish you see is from the annealing (heat treatment) process the brass undergoes during manufacturing. When some manufacturers polish their brass, this tarnish will not be exposed. Some agencies who purchase ammo require that this is exposed to prove that this process has been completed which will ensure reliability. This does not indicate the brass is used. This will not cause any feeding issues or cause wear on your rifle above normal operating conditions.

Ethan
BulkAmmo.com
Really fast shipping from these people. Ordered on the 25th, received it this afternoon, the 27th.

trip286 10-27-2012 08:46 PM

Nope, they're annealed (I think that's the correct term anyway...)

Just part of the forming process. Almost all of my ammo comes that way. It's also what I was issued in the service.

Well you beat me to it.

trip286 10-27-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redscho

Really fast shipping from these people. Ordered on the 25th, received it this afternoon, the 27th.

Really fast reply on a customer service question too.

I may have just decided who to order from.

redscho 10-27-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 992202)
Nope, they're annealed (I think that's the correct term anyway...)

Just part of the forming process. Almost all of my ammo comes that way. It's also what I was issued in the service.

Well you beat me to it.

A second opinion is always good.:)

robocop10mm 10-28-2012 04:43 AM

Brass is unusual as it gets work hardened. Whereas iron based metals (steel) work soften (bend a piece of steel repeatedlyand it will get soft and easier to bend). The forming process hardens the brass and the neck must be anealed prior to loading to allow the brass to get its "springiness" back. All bottleneck rifle brass is anealed from the factory. Only the military brass is left with the distinctive discolored area. All of your "hunting" ammo is polished again after anealing to remove the discoloration.

It is absolutely not a problem.

JonM 10-28-2012 04:58 AM

^^^^ this ^^^^

in the reloading world annealed brass left with its natural coloring is a sign of quality brass. you can tell if brass has been treated well by how the annealing has been done. if the discoloration extends to the base or near the base of the case its overanealed and should be tossed or recycled. too soft brass near the case head means kaboom is a real likelyhood

Sport45 10-31-2012 11:01 AM

Steel paper clips are probably the most-often used example of the work hardening process. As you bend the wire back and forth you can feel it becoming tougher and then it breaks.

locutus 10-31-2012 09:44 PM

The discoloration from annealing is easily polished off before loading if desired.

Quality manufacturers leave it on to show that their product has been properly annealed.