Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Dillon Square Deal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2014, 03:18 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 303 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Default Dillon Square Deal

Both my son and I shoot competitively and we both primarily shoot 9mm. I currently load for 6 pistol calibers but am considering a Dillon Square Deal dedicated to the 9mm and continuing to load everything else on my Lee Turret.

In talking to my reloading guru he seems to think this would be the direction to go and doesn't see the need for a 550/650. I don't have a huge amount of space on my bench for another press. How much width does a SD take up? What are the must have accessories? What accessories are a waste of money? Is 300-400 per hour a reasonable rate to expect?

Anybody want to make a case for buying a 550/650? I know thare can be a big price difference but if the case is strong enough it could be a "buy once, cry once" type of purchase.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-12-2014, 04:58 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 176 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 491

Default Square Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
Both my son and I shoot competitively and we both primarily shoot 9mm. I currently load for 6 pistol calibers but am considering a Dillon Square Deal dedicated to the 9mm and continuing to load everything else on my Lee Turret.

In talking to my reloading guru he seems to think this would be the direction to go and doesn't see the need for a 550/650. I don't have a huge amount of space on my bench for another press. How much width does a SD take up? What are the must have accessories? What accessories are a waste of money? Is 300-400 per hour a reasonable rate to expect?

Anybody want to make a case for buying a 550/650? I know thare can be a big price difference but if the case is strong enough it could be a "buy once, cry once" type of purchase.
Sounds like my situation almost exactly. I have a 550 set up for 6 or 7 calibers, but not 9mm. In the late 80's, at one of the two Hackathorn Invitational's, I won a Square Deal in .45 ACP, but called Dillon & they graciously traded it for my 9mm. I used that SD till I wore it out & just late last year, Dillon replaced all the parts till it runs like a new one. I have it on the same bench as my 550 about 4 ft. from it & about 2 ft. from the end of the bench (the bench is 8 ft. Long). It really goes fast with someone inserting the empty brass and the other running the handle & placing the bullet. 400 to 500 rds. per hour is very realistic and maybe even more if you're diligent. I like the bullet tray as an accessory and the tool kit. I can't say enough good about Dillon & the Square Deal.

“The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them”
― Miyamoto Musashi
"The only gunfight won is the one avoided."
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh

Old 05-12-2014, 09:12 AM   #3

Liked 2205 Times on 995 Posts
Likes Given: 2136

Had a Square Deal for over 20 years it's a great press. Just sold it last year after I got a 550B.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:43 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5274 Times on 2750 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post

The more you have to handle the components the slower you go. Realisticaly a square deal 200-300 per hour. If you have everything ready. 400+ rate you really need a case feeder and be fast with primer tubes. With a xl650 case feeder and automatic primer tube filler i can get close to 1000 per hour on a xl650.

With a square deal you are doing 4 operations for each cartridge. Primer handling via pick up tube 100, putting shell in stage 1 100, advancing the shell plate 100, putting the bullet on the primed powder filled case 100. This means per 100 your doing 400 manual steps. Scale it up and its 4000...

When you go to a rl550 you can reduce the workload by a factor of 1. As you can add a case feeder. The other difference is the square deal uses proprietary dies.

The xl650 with case feeder reduces the work load by a factor of 2 over the square dea and 1 over the rl550 as you remove the manual rotation of the shell plate.

Per 1000 rounds
SD 4000 Operations
RL550 3000 Operations
XL650 2000 Operations.

You can reduce each of these by a factor of 1 if you have an automatic primer filler which is the only way to hit the advertised load rates. An automatic tube filler can be a device or someone you sucker into filling them as you load.

Both the rl550 and xl650 use standard dies.

The square deal and rl550 its very possible to double charge cases. Its almost impossible to double charge with a xl650

My recomendation, get a xl650 sell the lee and you dont have to worry about space...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 05-12-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Eagle1803 Likes This 
Old 05-12-2014, 02:58 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 631 Times on 372 Posts
Likes Given: 406

As Mentioned above, you can't go wrong with Dillon, I just love My XL650

20140220_171457.jpg  

Criminals, thugs and dopeheads-Do not tread on me or my family

keep your liberals at bay, so the eagle can pick them apart.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:33 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 758 Times on 465 Posts
Likes Given: 156

I started with the 650, so far only loading 9mm, waiting to find some rifle powder to set up the .223. Pull off the complete tool head, change out the feeder, and off to the races.

I'm glad I went this way, looking back, wonder why I agonized over the decision for so dang long.