Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Dillon RL550-- is it complete?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2014, 01:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Dillon RL550-- is it complete?

Hi there,

I got this RL550 in an auction lot and dont know much about it...
Comparing it to others on ebay it seems I have the full setup with a few extra bolts (things on top screwed into the spot with 4 holes)
The lot also came with some accessories that I dont know much about...

Lever pulls down fine.

http://s86.photobucket.com/user/t-maxxracer32/library/Dillon%20RL550?sort=3&page=1

If you all wouldnt mind, just giving me some information on what I have here?

Thank you very much.
Ryan

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-11-2014, 01:54 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5325 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 338

It looks complete. You should contact dillon about a rebuild. They redo em send em back like new. You won't be able to tell the diff tween it and a new one.

How much was it??

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

therukh Likes This 
Old 03-11-2014, 01:57 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

To be honest I will be selling it seeing as I bought the lot for other reasons so would a rebuild help the value?

If ebays prices are correct (350-600) then I bought for a bit less.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:09 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-maxxracer32 View Post
To be honest I will be selling it seeing as I bought the lot for other reasons so would a rebuild help the value?

If ebays prices are correct (350-600) then I bought for a bit less.
Was it why you bought it?? For resale?? Depends on what the refit costs compaired to what you paid. Folks that buy beat on dillon machines look for cheap ones to send off to be rebuilt as it comes out a bit cheaper than buying new. So it depends on how much you paid vs how much dillon will charge whether there will be room for profit.

If your handy you could rebuild it and clean it yourself replace parts that are pitted etc then sell it or keep it as the 550 is nice machine for any loader.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-11-2014, 02:25 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It was a locker style auction so this was tucked behind and I was not able to see it.

What are some things I can look for to see if it even needs a rebuild? I will call dillon tomorrow to see what the cost for a rebuild is.

Most likely I will let it go for a bit cheaper in order to sell it earlier rather than repairing it and selling it for more. Money now as opposed to in a month or so after the repair is more valuable to me.

Thank you for your quick replies!

Old 03-11-2014, 02:33 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-maxxracer32 View Post
It was a locker style auction so this was tucked behind and I was not able to see it.

What are some things I can look for to see if it even needs a rebuild? I will call dillon tomorrow to see what the cost for a rebuild is.

Most likely I will let it go for a bit cheaper in order to sell it earlier rather than repairing it and selling it for more. Money now as opposed to in a month or so after the repair is more valuable to me.

Thank you for your quick replies!
Let dillon know you have pics and such. They are top notch on cs. You might find buyers here on ftf if you list it in the classifieds subforum.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:24 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good to know about Dillon,
After contact with Dillon I will decide if its smarter to post now or wait for repair.

Thank you Jon for your help.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:32 AM   #8
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7834 Times on 4523 Posts
Likes Given: 10088

Those "bolts" that screw into the thing with 4 holes on top are the dies. Look for the markings that will tell you what calibers and functions they are for. IE: seating, crimping, resizing as well as the manufacturer. The dies are generally in sets. If you got it in a locker auction look for the boxes that the dies came in and you may have a set or two. I would probably throw those in with the press if you are going to sell it.

If you want to sell it as-is as a lot PM me with a price. I might be interested. It looks like I will be losing my reloading stuff in the divorce.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:15 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 176 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 491

Default Dillon RL 550

If you don't want it for your own use, I'd sell it and any accessories as is and not bother Dillon for the rebuild. The new owner will be able to contact Dillon and get what they need with no questions asked. Yes, Dillon is unsurpassed in customer service. The press you have pictured looks complete. The open hole at the top is for the crimping die but it looks like the dies are possibly a 2-die set with the third one acting as both the bullet seater and crimper. I don't think you'd get that much more out of it if you contact Dillon and do the rebuild, since they would send it free and the new owner would be able to get it free also. If you send it back to Dillon you would have to pay for the shipping there.

“The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them”
― Miyamoto Musashi
"The only gunfight won is the one avoided."
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh

Last edited by therukh; 03-12-2014 at 01:29 AM.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:42 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1459 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

I just sent my 550B back to get it cleaned up and updated. They did all that and updated all the linkage and replaced a set of dies for $67.95 including return shipping. It cost me $33 to ship it back so a Franklin to set it right.

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

therukh Likes This