Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Dillion rebuild (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/dillion-rebuild-27593/)

jmac2387 05-27-2010 12:35 AM

Dillion rebuild

Anyone have any experience in getting their Dillion refurbished?

The price seems pretty reasonable ~ 15% of the cost of a new machine, but I have not seen this discussed before.

So if you have sent a machine in to them let me know of your experience.

JM

cpttango30 05-27-2010 01:16 AM

Mine is only a few years old so I have not had it done.

I have had friends that did it and the only thing old on it was the frame. and at 15% of a new one that is one hell of a deal.

Dgunsmith 05-27-2010 03:42 AM

I send back two square deals that had been stored for a few years and were all locked up.

Came back in about a week in a new box and beautifully refurbished.

Dillion is a first class outfit !

robocop10mm 05-27-2010 12:43 PM

A friend of mine has loaded literally hundreds of thousands of rounds on his 550. It has been rebuilt twice. He is happy. My old 450 has over 50k through it and is not in need of a rebuild.

masterPsmith 05-27-2010 02:15 PM

With over 1,000.000 on my machines, I have never had to send one back for a re-build. I have needed some parts throughout the years and Dillon has sent me the parts, NO CHARGE..................I was also a Dillon Dealer when my shop was still open. You cannot beat Dillon's service and that type of service is very rare these days........

Jim.........

joshfireart 05-27-2010 05:14 PM

luv my 550 bought it new sold it bought it 3 years and 2 owner later 2 years ago, Short of adjustments flawless.

jmac2387 05-27-2010 11:29 PM

1050 rework

I purchased this 1050 in 06 and have yet to load 5K .223on in in 4 years. I bought it as a dedicated machine only for .223 and ordered that way from dillon.

The problems have been ongoing and I have had enough frustration, so I have sent it back.

Anyone else build .223 on a 1050? I have heard of one other 1050 owner who can't seem to get his 1050 to run .223.

I have a dedicated 1050 for 45 acp and it has over 60K produced through it, so I have some idea of how to make them run.

Jm

Dgunsmith 05-28-2010 12:12 AM

I run 223 on my 1050 all the time.

What specific problems are you having ?

They are a little sensitive to mixed brass , especially if there are crimped primers in the cases. Mine throws up when it hits PMC brass....so I try and avoid that stuff.

jmac2387 05-28-2010 12:23 PM

problems

The majority of problems I had was with the priming operations. By the time I got the primers to seat at least flush with the brass, the plunger was so high that it drug on the primer slide and the slide would not function.

Like you had had swaging problems with primer holes but finally got that resolved.

Brass feeding problems was a second major issues, which revailed a broken plate.

There there was the constant adjustment of the primer arm.

After about 4 days of calls, the tech and I determined that the holes in the primer slide were off enough to only let the primers be picked up from the tube occasionally.

how many .223 did you run through your press? If I could get two a day then that was a good day. ( based on my reloading log)

Anyway dillion has it now and hopefully they can make it run to get it up to production.

Do you trim your brass before running it through the press or have a 1200 on the head to get it trimmed before taking out the crimp?

JM

robocop10mm 05-28-2010 01:00 PM

I have a 450 and have never operated the 550 even though they are very similar. I have broken one shell plate, I have no idea how that happened. If I allow the priming system to get dirty, it can go haywire. I generally load no more than 1000 rounds before changing calibers. Everytime I change calibers I brush everything off and have no problems. I normally resize/decap in one operation. Rifle brass gets final polished to remove lube. All brass gets a final inspection while cleaning the primer pockets. Primer pocket crimp gets swaged if needed (I use the RCBS tool in a rockchucker). Rifle brass gets trimmed. Most brass gets sorted by headstamp, stored and loaded in batches.
My chief complaint (if you can call it that) is the shell plate does rock a bit. Rifle cases can get the stuck due to this (reduced contact with extractor groove because of the movement). I make sure I have at least one extra case in the shell plate (#3 position) when the first case gets sized to minimize the rocking movement.