Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Digital scales (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/digital-scales-77871/)

magnumman 12-06-2012 02:58 PM

Digital scales

I am looking for new scales since I went cheap when I first got into reloading. The digital scale that I have SUCKS. Does anyone know of an affordable, accurate digital scale? Or would it better to go with a balance?

rhyno13 12-06-2012 03:01 PM

If you have access to a "smoke shop" they have some pretty decent scales there and they are affordable as hell.

magnumman 12-06-2012 03:02 PM

Ok, the one I picked up was from a lgs an was like $30 (I think). It worked well for a while but now it just drains expensive batteries and needs calibrated way to often. I'll check those out. Thank you

locutus 12-06-2012 03:07 PM

I prefer a balance by far. Along with a set of scale check weights to make sure it's calibrated properly.

Digital scales are quick and convenient. But scale check weights are an absolute necessity., IMHO

RCBS and Hornady both offer quality scales. Expect to pay ~$100 or a bit more for a quality digital.

magnumman 12-06-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locutus
I prefer a balance by far. Along with a set of scale check weights to make sure it's calibrated properly.

Digital scales are quick and convenient. But scale check weights are an absolute necessity., IMHO

RCBS and Hornady both offer quality scales. Expect to pay ~$100 or a bit more for a quality digital.

What balance do you recommend and how much do they go for?

locutus 12-06-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnumman (Post 1041383)
What balance do you recommend and how much do they go for?

I have a Lyman. RCBS is excallent as well.

The important thing to look for is that they are manufactured by the OHAUS SCALE COMPANY.

Ohaus manufactures scales for Lyman, Hornady and a dozen other re-sellers.

Prices run from about $75 to $250, depending on how fancy you want to get.

Lyman sells precision scale check weights for ~ $20.

magnumman 12-06-2012 03:26 PM

Cool, thanks. When you say fancy, what do the do that is so special or are we talking fancy cosmetically?

locutus 12-06-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnumman (Post 1041399)
Cool, thanks. When you say fancy, what do the do that is so special or are we talking fancy cosmetically?

Some of them have three balance beams, and are a basically laboratory grade scale.

You don't need that. (nice if you have extra money:p) A basic balance is all you need.

And BTW, I don't mean to "bad-mouth" digitals. I have an RCBS digital and it's a fine scale. I just trust the balance beam more.

magnumman 12-06-2012 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locutus

Some of them have three balance beams, and are a basically laboratory grade scale.

You don't need that. (nice if you have extra money:p) A basic balance is all you need.

And BTW, I don't mean to "bad-mouth" digitals. I have an RCBS digital and it's a fine scale. I just trust the balance beam more.

O believe me, o would much rather have a balance but just wanted to make sure I am not wasting anymore money biting inferior products.

nitestalker 12-06-2012 04:03 PM

Just do what Locutus said. I have bought the most expensive digital powder scales. I can not believe with all the new electronics they can not make a powder scale? I am back to my old Lyman Beam scale and a can of scale check weights that must have belonged to Wyatt Earp.:D