Different Types Of Ammo
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Different Types Of Ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 11:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Different Types Of Ammo

Could someone explain to me the different types of pistol ammo? I've seen stuff like +p, -P, +p+ and the like. I've never been given a decent explination on what they mean or how they react in my pistol.

Thanks
Jeremy

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-22-2011, 11:23 PM   #2

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

+p, +p+ are hotter loads. Not all handguns are designed for them. I've never seen -P. Could be a target load???? If your not sure, use standard ammo. An extra 100 fps is not going to benefit you.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:25 PM   #3

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRed View Post
Could someone explain to me the different types of pistol ammo? I've seen stuff like +p, -P, +p+ and the like. I've never been given a decent explination on what they mean or how they react in my pistol.

Thanks
Jeremy
Standard ammo (no "P") means that it's loaded to standard pressure hence standard velocity. Both +P and +P+ are loaded hotter to increase velocity and improve ballistic performance. Since it's loaded to higher pressure, it's important that your gun is built to withstand the extra stress. Somebody that reloads will be along shortly to get into all the stats & details...

Old 03-22-2011, 11:34 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5669 Times on 2961 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
An extra 100 fps is not going to benefit you.
i agree with this.

typically as you reach maximum loads you hit diminishing returns for the capabilities of a case, bullet and what your gun is capable of handling. most +P and +P+ loadings dont offer much if any real performance for the extra muzzle jump and recoil. you lose a lot of controllability for almost no gain.

if you think your SD rounds need to be +P or +P+ you prolly really want a bigger gun anyway.

+P and +P+ is a damn fine marketing tool and thats about it. it moves a lot more SD ammo when they stamp that on the box.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-23-2011, 12:12 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8856 Times on 3835 Posts
Likes Given: 1382

There are really only 4 LEGIT +p loadings, as listed with SAAMI. Those are .38 Special, 9mm Parabellum, .45ACP, and ALL .38 Supers are +P. Simply a hotter loaded cartridge (but not all that much- a .39 Special +P is still way below a .357 Magnum) There is no OFFICIAL +P+, it is whatever a maker wants to call it.

Me- if I want something hotter, then I buy a hotter caliber weapon. If you want a 45 Colt that shoots like a .44 Mag- BUY A 44 MAG!

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:17 AM   #6

Thanks guys, this explains a lot

Old 03-23-2011, 12:24 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 141 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Back of Winchester 110gr +P+ 38spl box.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:38 AM   #8

I was told a +p round is a hotter round used by police-If they needed to fire into a crowd on the street a +p will round will not pass through and hit multiple people,it would expand quickly,that is how it was explained to me.I had a AMT automag lll 30 cal. that would blow through five or six people so fast they would not even know,not good to carry on the street!

Old 03-23-2011, 12:48 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5669 Times on 2961 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsobad View Post
I was told a +p round is a hotter round used by police-If they needed to fire into a crowd on the street a +p will round will not pass through and hit multiple people,it would expand quickly,that is how it was explained to me.I had a AMT automag lll 30 cal. that would blow through five or six people so fast they would not even know,not good to carry on the street!
someone been telling ya stories. not one bit of that is true. i can gaurantee soon as you pu that exact same round from the automag 3 into an m1 carbine going 600fps faster the same guy that told ya those stories will claim the 30 carbine isnt worth spit and bounces off enemy uniforms...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 03-23-2011 at 12:56 AM.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:24 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 141 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 156

A lot of police agencies issued +P+ ammo. Now they up the caliber and go +P. I shot a B.G. with a 110 gr 38spl +P+ in the chest and it opened to .61 and stopped just under the skin in his back.
Report follows

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.