difference between solid and liquid cleaning medium

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > difference between solid and liquid cleaning medium

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 75 Times on 51 Posts

Default difference between solid and liquid cleaning medium

So I'm tired of wiping down each individual piece of brass and have decided its time to get a tumbler. I see there are solid and liquid mediums I can use and I have to ask. What's the difference? Liquid seems easier because you don't have to worry about it getting stuck inside the case. But I've also heard solid can be reused a few times. Thoughts on tumblers are welcome too.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #2

Liked 75 Times on 51 Posts

Also I'm using a Lyman bullet seating die and can't seem to get it where I need it. I always seat the bullet too deep. Advice would be great

Old 04-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsmith91 View Post
So I'm tired of wiping down each individual piece of brass and have decided its time to get a tumbler. I see there are solid and liquid mediums I can use and I have to ask. What's the difference? Liquid seems easier because you don't have to worry about it getting stuck inside the case. But I've also heard solid can be reused a few times. Thoughts on tumblers are welcome too.
if you are talking about using a tumbler with something like corn cob or walnut shell media vs. a sonic cleaner. the solid media tumblers have been around fr many years and they do a great job. the sonic cleaners from wht i have read work pretty good as well, bu are still fairly new to the reloading game. and as prices come down on the sonic cleaners, i think more people will start using them.

i have a solid media tumbler and that's what works for me.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6618 Times on 3686 Posts
Likes Given: 6288

I have a Lyman 1200 Vibratory tumbler that uses only solid media. I use it very little.

My main tumbler is a Thumler's Model B rotary. It can use corncob/walnut media or water. 90 percent of my cleaning is done with warm (NOT HOT) water and liquid Tide.

20 minutes usually cleans anything. Of course, they must be dried. I put them on a cookie sheet and leave them in a 200 degree oven for two hours. In the summer, you can sun dry them, but it takes a bit longer.