Difference in ammo
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Difference in ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Difference in ammo

I'm sorry if this was posted already but I did a search and got 1 thread and it was not what I'm looking for, and again sorry but didn't feel like actually opening and reading 2250 threads. AMMO INFO PLEASE. What is the difference between the P and P+ or +P and say 9mm ammo and grain? What is say good grain vs bad?? I'm very sorry to those that have not seen my threads but I am VERY NEW to EVERYTHING to do with guns ammo and all of it. In fact wifey and I go to court office to sign paperwork and get our prints taken to carry and class starts in two weeks I think on gun safety and such so please don't think I'm the clown from the pawn shop that didn't know how to un cock the 357. Yea I read that one and even thought it was ridiculous. Thank you for any help I figure I'd rather ask all of you that have the knowledge and expertise than google

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-19-2012, 10:34 PM   #2

Liked 763 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by markie357
I'm sorry if this was posted already but I did a search and got 1 thread and it was not what I'm looking for, and again sorry but didn't feel like actually opening and reading 2250 threads. AMMO INFO PLEASE. What is the difference between the P and P+ or +P and say 9mm ammo and grain? What is say good grain vs bad?? I'm very sorry to those that have not seen my threads but I am VERY NEW to EVERYTHING to do with guns ammo and all of it. In fact wifey and I go to court office to sign paperwork and get our prints taken to carry and class starts in two weeks I think on gun safety and such so please don't think I'm the clown from the pawn shop that didn't know how to un cock the 357. Yea I read that one and even thought it was ridiculous. Thank you for any help I figure I'd rather ask all of you that have the knowledge and expertise than google
Short answer,,,every cartridge is loaded to a maximum standard pressure. +p and +p+ are loaded to exceed the standard.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-19-2012, 10:38 PM   #3

Liked 763 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 462

Sorry didn't see other question. The grain weight is the weight of the actual bullet. The power (muzzle energy) of a bullet is determined by its speed and mass. A lighter bullet, eg 115 gr will travel faster than a 145 gr and will also have a snappier recoil.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-19-2012, 10:53 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9170 Times on 3959 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Grain refers to the weight, typically of a bullet. There are 7000 grains to a pound. In general, lighter bullets move faster, but will slow down faster, and may not penetrate as much. in 9mm Parabellum (9mm Luger) I happen to like 124 grain.

Standard, +P, and +P+. A governing body of ammo makes called SAAMI establishes standards for ammo. They may decide "4mm Whatzis Auto will have a pressure of 100 kiloTeslas" That is what standard 4mm Whatzis will be loaded to by all makers- no hotter.

However, a higher energy version may be made and marked +P. There are only FOUR official +P cartridges- .38 Special, 9mm Parabellum, 45 ACP, and ALL .38 Super ammo is +P. Other rounds could be CALLED +P, but there is no official consensus on just what that is.

SOME ammo makers came up with a hotter, higher energy load- that is the +P+. There is NO official consensus on just what ANY +P+ would be. Walk away from that- it will not end well.

SOME guns are not made to use the hotter +P loads. While it is unlikely they will explode in a shower of sparks and screams on the first shot, it WILL wear the daylights out of the gun, and shorten its life.

If you are asking my advice on what would be a good 9mm Parabellum cartridge for self defense, would look at any 124 gr jacketed hollow point made by a major ammo company, such as Winchester, Federal, Remington, Speer, etc. Leave the +P stuff alone. Want more power? Buy a more powerful gun.

The MOST important criteria- the ammo that you choose MUST cycle your pistol- feed, chamber, fire. extract and eject 100.00000% of the time. I don't care if it can knock a rhino over- if the danged pistol jams every other shot.

Some notes for you to read- http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm#9mm

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Great info thank you

Old 11-21-2012, 09:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
Grain refers to the weight, typically of a bullet. There are 7000 grains to a pound. In general, lighter bullets move faster, but will slow down faster, and may not penetrate as much. in 9mm Parabellum (9mm Luger) I happen to like 124 grain.

Standard, +P, and +P+. A governing body of ammo makes called SAAMI establishes standards for ammo. They may decide "4mm Whatzis Auto will have a pressure of 100 kiloTeslas" That is what standard 4mm Whatzis will be loaded to by all makers- no hotter.

However, a higher energy version may be made and marked +P. There are only FOUR official +P cartridges- .38 Special, 9mm Parabellum, 45 ACP, and ALL .38 Super ammo is +P. Other rounds could be CALLED +P, but there is no official consensus on just what that is.

SOME ammo makers came up with a hotter, higher energy load- that is the +P+. There is NO official consensus on just what ANY +P+ would be. Walk away from that- it will not end well.

SOME guns are not made to use the hotter +P loads. While it is unlikely they will explode in a shower of sparks and screams on the first shot, it WILL wear the daylights out of the gun, and shorten its life.

If you are asking my advice on what would be a good 9mm Parabellum cartridge for self defense, would look at any 124 gr jacketed hollow point made by a major ammo company, such as Winchester, Federal, Remington, Speer, etc. Leave the +P stuff alone. Want more power? Buy a more powerful gun.

The MOST important criteria- the ammo that you choose MUST cycle your pistol- feed, chamber, fire. extract and eject 100.00000% of the time. I don't care if it can knock a rhino over- if the danged pistol jams every other shot.

Some notes for you to read- http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm#9mm
Hey I am Rhino. Lol

Old 11-22-2012, 02:18 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9170 Times on 3959 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Quote:
Hey I am Rhino.
Yep, you are.

Now hold still- you won't feel a thing.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.