Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Did my first .380 penetration test

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 04:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Did my first .380 penetration test

Penetrated through 4 layers of denim and exactly 2 milk jugs full of water and fell to the ground as it exited the second jug. To me this is enogh for this little round about a foot of penetration maybe more. Fired from 5 yards Sig P238 using Hornady Critical Defense.

b.jpg   b1.jpg   b2.jpg   b3.jpg  

cant wait until the day a gelatin block attacks me.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-09-2011, 04:14 PM   #2

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

That's not too bad. Throw a slab of ribs between the denim and the jugs, and see what it can do then.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:19 PM   #3

im actually more interested on seeing what penetration it will do through bone but dont want to spend meat on that...

Old 10-09-2011, 04:25 PM   #4

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Idea, don't know how good it will work though. Get some ribs, and then eat em. Then take the bones, set them up in a cake pan with jello, you can even use one of those disposables, wrap it tight with cling wrap (to keep the jello from falling out of the pan) and set it up in the place of the slab of ribs. You can even put the bones slightly closer together to make sure you hit one.

The jello will have a vastly different texture and density, but I agree, meat's for eating.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:30 PM   #5

I dont really feel the need to try the bone test as the velocity and weight on this round will definately penetrate bone (hunting hogs that are shot in the head penetrate with 22lr) so i know this will do the job

Old 10-09-2011, 04:33 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ballistic research has shown water to be about 1/2 as resistant to penetration as flesh. Thus, a foot of penetration in water would be about 6" in flesh.

This is common with .380s: Good expansion and poor penetration, or good penetration with no expansion. It is rare to see a bullet so precisely designed that expansion remains limited so that penetration does not suffer.

This further supports my personal notion that if I were to ever carry a .380, it would be with non-expanding flat-point or semi-wadcutter bullets.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:39 PM   #7

lets say that it will penetrate 6-8 inches with HP ammo, when you look at any vital organs they are well within that depth so there is nothing to really doubt about this round to be a stopping power round (unless we are talking about an obese human being than a rifle will MAYBE penetrate deep enough through the blubber to reach a vital organ)