Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Definition of tedious...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4450 Times on 2348 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
Thanks for the replies here guys. I trim to .888" because the manual says the case length should be .888". Being rather green to reloading (Have only done a thousand or so .357 and 500 or so .44 mag and a hundred or so .45 acp) what the manual says, fmj does. normally....

Then why does the manual call for case length to be .888"??

but what you are saying makes sense to me considering a lot of the brass is .894-.898. Some is shorter...little is .888". I didnt think once fired would stretch THAT much from a .45. Most of my brass is Win. with some CCI tossed into the mix that were factory loads i bought and saved for years before i started reloading

The decapping isnt so much a chore and cleaning the primer pockets isnt that rough when compared to trimming...i'm not cleaning the inside of the case! I let the tumbler and polish do that...I figure thats good enough for Govt work.
Trim to 888 on 45acp you will prolly never have to trim it again. The reason the manual says 888 is so it will fit in any pistol chamber.

If your shooting bullseye competition with a highly modified 1911 taking a chamber casting and getting an exact coal might be feasable but most of us dont and 888 is a good trim length for any practical shooting.

The other thing is on any cartridge the tighter the fit the less tolerance you have to allow for a dirty chamber as you shoot. So if you trim longer and after a few shots your pistol may start having fail to feed issues due to the carbon buildup.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-23-2012, 04:51 PM   #12
fmj

Liked 748 Times on 432 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Trim to 888 on 45acp you will prolly never have to trim it again. The reason the manual says 888 is so it will fit in any pistol chamber.

If your shooting bullseye competition with a highly modified 1911 taking a chamber casting and getting an exact coal might be feasable but most of us dont and 888 is a good trim length for any practical shooting.

The other thing is on any cartridge the tighter the fit the less tolerance you have to allow for a dirty chamber as you shoot. So if you trim longer and after a few shots your pistol may start having fail to feed issues due to the carbon buildup.
AHHhhhhh!! Thanks man. I will keep it in mind for sure. I guess i will just continue on with this chore and trim all my cases to the .888" range. Then i should be good to go from here on out. Save the occasional primer pocket detail every 2nd or so use.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 04-24-2012, 10:02 PM   #13

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default We have a failure to communicate...

FMJ:
Re-read the manual. That is a "trim-to-length" to be used ONLY if the cases exceed the desired case length of 0.898". Did you find ANY cases that exceeded 0.898"? NO, because they are rarer than hen's teeth and in my limited time reloading (a little more than 45 years), I have never found one.
You can drop re-sized cases into the barrel and see that they are all a little short of "perfect" head-spacing. Again, the goal would be to have all straight-wall cases that headspace on the case mouth be at the max case length to mimimize headspace--always a desired goal--which your cases now, after a lot of effort, will NEVER achieve. Your cases are all now 0.01" short of "perfect" headspace and will all hang on the extractor if you are lucky.
As far as I am concerned, the 'trim-to-length" for .45ACP, 9x19, etc. is SIMPLY a LIABILITY issue if someone somewhere somehow got a case that exceeded 0.898" and it caused a problem. The manufacturer could point to the reloader not meeting the recommended trim length.
From Lyman: Trimming is necessary when your cases have lengthened after numerous firings. Check your cases after resizing and never allow them to exceed the maximum listed measurement.
Notice they DO NOT say to trim all cases to the "trim-to-length," but simply to never allow any case to EXCEED THE MAXIMUM case length listed--which, for .45 ACP, is and always has been 0.898".