Defensive ammunition what is safe/defective? - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Defensive ammunition what is safe/defective?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2010, 10:05 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Still carrying the same ammo for how many years?!!! I recommend switching to new (Fresh) ammo every year. Your life depends on it. You would not use the same oil in your car for 100,000 miles, would you?

Consider the Speer Gold Dots.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-22-2010, 02:03 AM   #12
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1973 Times on 1068 Posts
Likes Given: 586

My PF 9 hates 115 gr in HP or FMJ. It loves 124 gr in HP or FMJ. I use factory HP for carry. You shoot someone and you will likely end up in court. Handloads and modified guns will compound your problems. Lawyers and especially prosecutors will use anything they can to win their case. They just have to convince a jury that you are a blood thirsty monster that went out of his way to make his weapon more lethal. They will lie deliberately missrepresent the facts.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:13 AM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5661 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 374

my preference is the heaviest grain bullet that will cycle my handgun/rifle reliably. expansion of hollowpoints is just a bonus.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:58 AM   #14
CAR
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yes Robocop i know that ammo is old. That is why i came here, I am just learning to reload. I am almost there. I have looked at Speer gold dot and
Hornady HP/XTP and many others. I have fired a few clips every 6 months,
It has always went bang and made nice holes. But yes it is old and needs replaced. I thank you for your advice (I think).
I don't know how you meant it, But i found your last comment to be uncalled
for and offensive. I hope that was not the way you meant it.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:21 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use Remington Golden Sabers in both 9mm and 45acp, mainly because they always feed and function in my defense pistols. However, to echo earlier recommendations, I believe you should put AT LEAST 100 rounds of your chosen defensive ammo through your pistol WITHOUT malfunction before you use it for personal defense, and that is after you've shot at least 500 rounds of practice/ball ammo through it--both to ensure the gun is 100% and to increase your skills with that particular weapon that you are trusting your life to.

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 10-22-2010, 10:54 PM   #16

The Box O' Truth - The Box O' Truth
The guys at the above website have done a fair amount of testing on just the question above. Some of the test reveled interesting results. The 410 even in the slug form leaves a lot to be desired.

What Missileman states about practice and using the ammo you are planing to carry is very good advice. Practice at different distances and different light levels. Winter requires different loads than summer, because of the clothing used by the baddies. The firearm will be warmer but harder to get to with winter clothes and cold does have an effect on some powders, so practice dressed as you would be for the weather conditions.

As to old ammo? I shot about 50 rounds of 38 Spl. a while back that had to be 40 or more years old. every round went bang. The velocities were higher than stated on the box 855fps. I've also fired 22rf that were over 10 years old and had as many no fires as I have had with new ammo. Between Winchester and Remington, Remington being the brand with the most miss fires. Again practice check different brands to get the most reliable and stay with it.

38 Spl. is still a good round and 125 grain or 135 grain hollow or expanding point work very well. True, only revolvers apply.

Oz

Last edited by oznbolivia; 10-22-2010 at 11:24 PM.