Defensive ammunition what is safe/defective?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Defensive ammunition what is safe/defective?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2010, 04:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Defensive ammunition what is safe/defective?

What types of ammunition do you guys recommend for 9mm, .380 auto, .40, .45ACP and other cartridges that can be considered a "carry gun" even .410gauge if you have a handgun that fires it.

The only type of defensive ammunition I currently own is; 9mm +P JHP 115gr corban. I have not tried it yet at the range, but what would others recommend for Defensive "carry ammunition" All calibers are welcome.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-16-2010, 04:34 PM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

This is a bit like asking what's your favorite color. Basically any major brand of modern JHP ammo will serve in a defensive situation. Some folks do a lot of tests on wet phone books, ballistic gel, pic carcasses, and every brand/type has its loyal fans. Pick one that is available to you locally, shoot it through your guns, and if it functions well - choice made...

Old 09-16-2010, 04:43 PM   #3

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I am carrying 185gr Gold dot Speers right now.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:12 PM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nake48 View Post
What types of ammunition do you guys recommend for 9mm, .380 auto, .40, .45ACP and other cartridges that can be considered a "carry gun" even .410gauge if you have a handgun that fires it.

The only type of defensive ammunition I currently own is; 9mm +P JHP 115gr corban. I have not tried it yet at the range, but what would others recommend for Defensive "carry ammunition" All calibers are welcome.
Whatever you choose you should try it out in your CCW. Some guns are touchy about feeding hollow point ammo. Best to find that out at a range

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 09-16-2010, 05:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
Whatever you choose you should try it out in your CCW. Some guns are touchy about feeding hollow point ammo. Best to find that out at a range

Old 09-16-2010, 05:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
.................................................. .................................................. ......

Old 09-16-2010, 05:55 PM   #7

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
This is a bit like asking what's your favorite color. Basically any major brand of modern JHP ammo will serve in a defensive situation.
I'm in total agreement with NGIB. It is important to go with major manufacturer's self defense ammo. All of the ammo makers are competing for our money and they all make good products. I have my preferences, as do others. For practice or plinking, go with the cheap stuff, but self defense ammo is no place to go cheap.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 09-16-2010, 06:13 PM   #8

I agree I have lots of spare 9mm and spare .45 ACP's laying around that are for plinking and then there is Corban and others for self defense that are not as available (some will be online and some wont be stored at any of the gun dealers at all/ close to me commercial re-sales ) So it's all about flavor and what taste the gun likes, as someone on the forum said, smaller polymer frame guns don't like HP ammo as much as a full size metal one would.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:11 PM   #9

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nake48 View Post
as someone on the forum said, smaller polymer frame guns don't like HP ammo as much as a full size metal one would.
First, it's called Cor-Bon.

As far as the statement I quoted - totally no basis in fact. One of the pickiest guns with JHP ammo is actually a "full sized metal" one - a 1911. The smaller polymer autos were built specifically as self defense guns and as such reliability with JHP was built into the design. Now every gun won't like every brand so it's necessary for you to find what your gun digests reliably...

Old 10-21-2010, 08:43 AM   #10
CAR
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use black talons 180 gr in my S&W 40, and black talon 147 gr in my wifes 9mm. There hard to get mostly find them at gun shows 40 to 45 a box of 20.
Im still useing the ones i bought in the 90's