Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Deep penetrating 45acp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 01:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Deep penetrating 45acp

I'm curious as to what type of bullet I should buy next, at the moment I'm using lead to practice with. But I was looking at full metal profile bullets from Sierra and liked the thought of the full metal profile having higher sectional density than some of the other bullets. I know if I really want to put a hole in something to use a good hard 357 mag or 44 mag but I kind of want to squeeze out what I can out of my 1911 and Glock 30's penetrating power. I figured if I can I'd like to go with the 230 grain bullet but I'm ok with anything 200 grains or over.
Any suggestions?

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-29-2010, 01:53 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Ah crap, I missed the reason for the question.

We have tested several .45 hollowpoints behind the scenes, but no one has yet tested the FMJ's.

The original questions still stand, however:

What length of barrel and is there something SPECIFIC that you wanted to know about your gun and a chosen round?

Last edited by Dillinger; 09-29-2010 at 02:54 AM.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:25 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just recently heard about the Double Tap brand since I started looking up a good deep penetrator, apparently you either love it to death or hate it with a white hot burning passion. What sets these apart from the typical 230 grain FMJs? Are they loaded to a higher pressure with a stronger bullet or something? Because if that's true then I wouldnt feel so bad about spending $80 on 100 rounds for an all around defense deep penetrator.

I realize I wasnt clear enough on why I want a DP round. I do a lot of hiking and often carry my .45acp pistols with me for protection against your typical irritated animals, Black Bear included. I'm an experienced hiker and mountain climber but I just havent had the funds to get a good 44 magnum revolver so in the mean time I'd like a good woods defense round. I reload my own ammo so if you have any particular hot 45acp load that might could work up to I'd be appreciative of that info too.

Currently I alternate between my 5" 1911 Taurus and my Glock 30sf with a factory 3.78 inch barrel. I mostly carry my Glock 30sf in the woods but I'm not against the 1911 if my hiking partner wants to carry something to feel a bit safer.

I can only research so much on my own so I figured I'd ask you fellas because I'm sure several of your are much more experienced than I am.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:28 PM   #4

Gecko makes FMJ ammo in stainless steel. I don't know however if they come in 45 acp ? Pretty much any fmj in 45 acp will penetrate. The 180 grainers might penetrate further because of velocity. What do you want to use them for ?
For defense purposes Hornady Critical Defense, Corbon's Power Ball, and Remington Golden Sabre's penetrate very good. A FMJ will penetrate better though. I like the 230 grain FMJ for defensive purposes. They penetrate but because of the bigger slower bullet, they don't always blow through. Many people still load their 45's with Hardball ammo in this grain weight, mostly a lot of old timers and they have no complaints. It's actually one of the only ball ammo that works for defense with a 67% one shot stop ! Im sure 50AE would work well in ball ammo too, but I don't know too many folks who pack the monster.

No Son of a Bitch ever won a War by Dying for His Country ! It's the Son of a Bitch who makes the Other Poor Bastard Die for His Country who Wins the War !

George S. Patton, General 3rd Army United States .

Old 09-29-2010, 03:15 PM   #5

Liked 2254 Times on 1185 Posts
Likes Given: 153

If bears are a strong possibilty and I only had a .45 to carry, I would choose a 230gr truncated cone bullet over a traditional round nose FMJ. I believe Buffalo Bore makes a +P round in that configuration.

I would rather carry my .41 Mag in Bear country. The 10mm with a 200 gr TC bullet would be my second choice.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-30-2010, 08:09 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

G37 I know exactly what you're talking about on the heavy and long revovler. I hiked with a 44mag that was stainless steel but only had a 4" barrel so it wasnt entirely too heavy. I've learned from experience and others that a good enclosed holster is a good idea if you plan on getting dirty while hiking or climbing. I do both light and heavy hiking mostly in Colorado, New Mexico and west Texas in the canyons. I plan on getting a S&W 629 (preferably one with a hammer mounted firing pin) 44magnum with a 4" barrel and handload for it but I'm short on money at the moment. I usually go hiking with my cousin Zach who is a decent shot and he doesnt mind carrying the Glock 30sf if he has to.

What's the advantage a Trunicated Core bullet give over enclosed full metal jacket rounds? I'm not familiar with the TC rounds but I have seen a few on the market.
There is a kit avaliabe to shoot 10mm from a Glock 30sf but I'm not conpletely sure how much better it would be over a full house 45 acp +P load. I'm kind of skeptic to buy the kit for the 10mm because I could just put that money toward a 44 magnum with a good enclosed hiking holster.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:29 PM   #7

Liked 2254 Times on 1185 Posts
Likes Given: 153

A TC bullet will have a sub-caliber flat nose that is far more disruptive to flesh than a round nose. They tend to penetrate straight where the round nose may deflect off bone more easily and take a turn in flesh and avoid vital organs.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball