Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Decrimping military brass (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/decrimping-military-brass-61337/)

blucoondawg 03-29-2012 03:08 AM

Decrimping military brass

I found a decent price on 5.56 brass polished with spent primer still in, what do you guys use to remove the primer crimp without cutting too deep into the pocket?

JonM 03-29-2012 03:27 AM

I ise a dillon super swage. Unfortunately ive needed to use it on federal and winchester brass. It does an amazing job making primer holes uniform without tearing them up.

rjd3282 03-29-2012 04:07 AM

I use the RCBS case prep center.

robocop10mm 03-29-2012 04:31 AM

I use the RCBS primer pocket swager. Fits in standard press and does a very good job of pressing the metal back to its original place. You can adjust it from just removing the crimp to giving a slight flare to ease reinsertion of the new primer.

blucoondawg 03-29-2012 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 755355)
I use the RCBS primer pocket swager. Fits in standard press and does a very good job of pressing the metal back to its original place. You can adjust it from just removing the crimp to giving a slight flare to ease reinsertion of the new primer.

Do you have any trouble with it deforming the case rims? I have heard this to be an issue with the press mounted swagers. That Dillon looks like the ticket but I wanna try to avoid layin down another 100 bucks on a piece of equipment.

robocop10mm 03-29-2012 05:21 AM

No problem at all. The case is supported by a rod that goes inside the case to the base. Rim never has any contact.

sniper762 03-29-2012 01:57 PM

try lee's military brass decapper and primer pocket reamer

Snakedriver 03-29-2012 02:08 PM

I personally like using the the Hornady pocket reamer in my Lyman case trimmer to remove the crimp. I tried swaging the crimp out with the RCBS kit, but I never could get it to work well enough. The good news is that the crimp only needs to be removed one time.

The way the reamer is built it stops you from going too deep and removing too much material from the primer pocket edge.

randyjarrett 03-29-2012 08:21 PM

Years ago I guess we poor boyed it, but all this new stuff probably wasn't out yet. My Dad show me how to use a small punch and set the case over a hole in a heavy piece of metal, that has a hole in it big enough for the primer to fall thru, and we just punched out the primers. We did a lot of live primers because a primer will not go off if punched backward.Then we took a drill bit the size we needed and beveled the primer pocket so the new primers would fit right in the case.

PS Besure if you are doing live primers they are over the hole because if not they will go off if hit backward on a hard surface, like right beside hole.

Randy

robocop10mm 03-30-2012 06:30 AM

I beg to differ with you. A primer WILL go off if hit from the wrong end, especially if a crimped primer. You can drive the anvil into the cup and set it off just as it would if you drove the cup into the anvil.

Trust me, I have the scars to prove it.