Dare I say, I think I see light at the end of ammo tunnel - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Dare I say, I think I see light at the end of ammo tunnel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 09:18 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Whatever moniker one wants to put on it, I think there is an element of buyers out there merely speculating on ammo, buying whatever they can find at inflated prices, whether they can use it or not, thinking there is profit to be made on the price of ammo going higher and its availability going down.

Nothing illegal about that, but that activity certainly makes it difficult for the rest of us who desire to hone our skills or shoot for pleasure.

My hat's off to those who had the foresight to purchase an adequate supply of their ammunition of choice before the prices skyrocketed - and I don't consider that hoarding. That's just good sense.

My local range has pistol ammo at reasonable, but not great, prices for those utilizing their range, so I'm able to hold my own now without cutting into my reserves. I'm not shooting my AR much since 5.56/.223 seems to be almost nonexistent, still.

So it goes....

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 06-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #52
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5537 Times on 3134 Posts
Likes Given: 4818

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr1943 View Post
That is a very petty conclusion and has nothing to do with my "value system." If you decide to leap to these kinds of conclusions/things, use PM or please stick to the subject and in the context of the post.

ADDED: By the way, there is a BIG difference between ammo hoarder/pigs and stocking up. I think you really know the difference and what I mean.

The way your earlier post was worded, you seemed to be pretty upset with everyone who had stocked up before the election. If I misunderstood you, then I apologize.

I guess I'm just getting a little defensive of all the name calling going on.

Winston Churchill
johnr1943 Likes This 
Old 06-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #53
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1069 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
The way your earlier post was worded, you seemed to be pretty upset with everyone who had stocked up before the election. If I misunderstood you, then I apologize.

I guess I'm just getting a little defensive of all the name calling going on.
Apology accepted for your misunderstanding. That is why I "ADDED" to my post.
I'm still a Boy Scout at heart: Be Prepared

Old 06-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #54
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 388 Times on 269 Posts
Likes Given: 120

I would be surprised if there was plenty of ammo. Was the government not buying it all to stop civilians getting it.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #55

Liked 94 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteel215 View Post
Well....
You heard it first folks, I have now seen small bits of ammo in popular calibers at not one, not two, but 3 places in the last 2 weeks.

SNIP

What's everyone else's situation where you live? Focusing mainly on the popular calibers like 9mm, 38 special, 40sw, 45acp and 223/5.56
When I can walk into Wally World and buy an economy pack 22LR (Federal 550 rounds) for 20 bucks again I will believe things are back to normal. Here in N. Central Florida they are practically nonexistent.

Red S.
"I want a government small enough to fit inside the Constitution."

Old 06-02-2013, 09:12 PM   #56

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex-Predator
I won't see the light at the end of the tunnel until I can find 4064 and Varget, maybe some primers and 150gr Game Kings while I am dreaming
Hey all your reloading needs are un Louisiana!

Old 06-02-2013, 09:30 PM   #57

Liked 1347 Times on 830 Posts
Likes Given: 313

In Walmart today, there were three boxes of .45 ACP, the first in months. A few new boxes of '06 and a heck of a lot of dust. Some of the rifle calibers that have been in place, probably for years, is still there, and there is plenty of shotgun shells. Not much else.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 06-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #58

Liked 132 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 221

with respect to ordering powders, I ordered some back in mid to end of January from midwayusa and it finally showed up this past friday, the 10-12 month backlog or delay turned out to be about 4 months instead. I'm just glad it finally arrived.

I also noticed Georgia Arms website is now allowing you to order the 500 and 1000 rnd "canned heat" ammo boxes in several handgun calibers, previously listed "unavailable" and the prices aren't too wacky either, i consider that an improvement to the situation.

my hat is off to anyone who has served or is currently serving our country.....God bless you..you're friends and family included.

for the latest chitown headlines, check here:
http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/

NRA - member for life

Old 06-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #59
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3043 Times on 2067 Posts
Likes Given: 646

Default I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Bolan View Post
with respect to ordering powders, I ordered some back in mid to end of January from midwayusa and it finally showed up this past friday, the 10-12 month backlog or delay turned out to be about 4 months instead. I'm just glad it finally arrived.

I also noticed Georgia Arms website is now allowing you to order the 500 and 1000 rnd "canned heat" ammo boxes in several handgun calibers, previously listed "unavailable" and the prices aren't too wacky either, i consider that an improvement to the situation.

Was able to buy 100 rounds of Winchester .9mm Ball for $48 ...still high but not nearly as bad as $40 per box of 50..

Oh: catchy name there? do u Know Hal Brognola Personally? Or Aaron "the Bear" Kurtzman?(yes I have been reading the Books since about 1970...)

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 06-03-2013, 09:25 PM   #60
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball

Was able to buy 100 rounds of Winchester .9mm Ball for $48 ...still high but not nearly as bad as $40 per box of 50..
In my opinion, that's still too expensive. All that's really doing is worsening the "crisis." Because it shows the seller that people are still willing to pay nearly 50 cents per round for 9mm target ammo, which in turn causes them to continue to sell at that price.

If you were desperate, then I guess it's a good deal? But honestly, unless you shoot competitively, I see no reason for someone to be desperate for 9mm target ammo. Defensive ammo is different. We should always have a bit of that on hand in our chosen calibers.

Always have clean socks.

Last edited by JW357; 06-03-2013 at 09:27 PM.