Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Ammunition & Reloading (
-   -   crimpped primer removal ? (

redneckbuckeye 04-16-2009 12:45 AM

crimpped primer removal ?
I have some 5.56 to reload what is the best way to remove the primer crimp?

jeepcreep927 04-16-2009 01:30 AM

Some say it can be done carefully with a case mouth/neck chamfering tool. I see that but decided to get a primer pocket swage (RCBS) since I really have nothing better to do with my time, I don't mind, but it's not the fastest method.

Dgunsmith 04-16-2009 02:16 AM

Either get a Dillion press or Dillion makes a tool for just that purpose.

kcebdivad 04-16-2009 04:41 AM

.223 crimp
I have reloaded quite a bit with the military brass. Before I knew about crimp removers I would knock out the old primer and just put a new one in. They went in pretty tight but never had one go off or not fire when out shooting.
Never noticed anything different than one that was done "right".
just my two cents

TXnorton 04-16-2009 12:15 PM

.223 Military Primer Crimp Removal
I use a case neck reamer tool chucked up in an electric drill. When prepping military brass for reloading, I (carefully) ream the crimp edges in the primer pocket to get a slight taper at the face of the primer pocket. I prime using a Lee hand primer tool, and can tell when I have not removed enough of the crimp edge. I only do this on the first prep of military cases (usually range pickup brass). I have reloaded some of these cases 5-6 times with no problems. With the reamer tool chucked in the drill, I can quickly dress up the primer pockets on several hundred rounds at a sitting.


RL357Mag 04-16-2009 12:43 PM

Lee makes a cheap and easy hardened steel decapping pin and base to remove the primers (don't use your regular sizing die or you'll break the decapping pin) and they sell a primer pocket reamer that looks like a primer pocket cleaner on steroids. It has a knurled aluminum handle into which is attached a hardened steel reamer. You insert it in the primer pocket and twist - it chamfers the pocket beautifully, and costs about $5.

robocop10mm 04-16-2009 01:59 PM

You can cut out the crimp with a chamfering tool, but I do not like to remove metal from the critical case head area. I prefer to use the RCBS swaging tool. It comes with everything you need to swage both small and large primer pockets. To me, putting the metal back where it came from is preferable.

The Dillon tool is outstanding but a bit pricey. You have to use it a few thousand times to get your moneys worth.

cpttango30 04-20-2009 12:33 AM

get the swage or a crimp remover. Just be careful with it and don't do to much. Like I did once as a kid and had primers falling out.

BILLYBOB44 04-20-2009 02:24 AM

Crimped primers
+1 on the Lee universal decap die for removal.+1 on the RCBS swage tool for crimp removal. Have used this system on several cal. rifle/pistol Mil. brass cases. I do not like to remove any brass at the case head either.:eek:

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:21 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.