Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Crimping question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2010, 03:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default Crimping question

Should I crimp my bullets for the .300 WM. I have never crimped and was told today by a fellow shooter and reloader at the range that I should. I suppose it would all be related to recoil and possible bullet setback in the magazine.
Again, all the bullets I have been using have no cannelures. When I am accuracy testing at the range, I always load my rifle one shot at the time and never put ammo into the magazine.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-16-2010, 01:18 PM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I wouldn't crimp them if they have no cannelure. If you attempt to put excessive crimping pressure on a non cannelured bullet you'll just deform the bullet. It's much better to have good consistent neck tension than trying to crimp your cases which will deform your bullets..

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 03-16-2010, 02:31 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2263 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

+1 on no crimp for non-cannelured bullets. You should have sufficient neck tension to hold the bullet firmly enough for single loading or bolt action applications.

The only reason I would crimp this round is if I A. had a cannelured bullet and B. was shooting it through an auto loader like a BAR.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-16-2010, 03:02 PM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Most of your bottle neck dies have a slight roll crimp built into them. They will give you a little but not much unless you adjust them to give more. I wouldn't worry about it. I would load the mag with 2 or 3 rounds an then shoot a few round while single loading them. Measure the OAL afting shooting 2 or 3 times and see if there is any difference. If there is then crimp a little more. If not leave things alone.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:56 AM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I started reloading back in 1953, I ll crimp revolver ammo but never did on rifle ammo. I reload ammo for the 22 Hornet up to the 340 Weatherby Mag bolt action rifles. Never had a problem..

Old 03-17-2010, 09:54 PM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I didn't want to crimp anyway because I knew that it only adds another variable that is difficult to control. I have been under the impression for the last 30 or so years that for the best accuracy and consistency do not crimp. It was just that a few loaders told me that I needed to for a magnum rifles due to setback of bullets from recoil. I've never had any problems especially in M1As, M1s and ARs, so actually I didn't forsee any problem here.
So-----I ain't gonna crimp.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:54 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The only crip to use on non cantlured (sp) bullits would be the Lee tapper crimp that squeases in all sides of the brass neck.
That is if you realy are woried about a crimp.
F.K.