Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Crimping .223 for an AR (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/crimping-223-ar-75947/)

firelt 11-08-2012 04:23 PM

Crimping .223 for an AR

I've read that you should not crimp .223 because it can cause a pressure build up that will damage the upper receiver on an AR-15. I'm considering doing it because I'm having an issue with slightly over sized casing necks when I reload .223. It's become an issue because I'm finding that after case prep some of the necks are so over-sized that the bullet will actually drop all the way through the neck into the casing when I seat the bullet. Very messy, and even more annoying. Then I have a wasted casing that has a live primer in it. On that note, I'm afraid to run a casing that has a live primer through my decapper because I'm afraid it will go off. Is there any way to save a live primer in a bad casing? :confused:

So back to my original question- can you safely put a mild crimp on a .223?

TheAlmightyBob 11-08-2012 05:05 PM

Yes. You should crimp. Dont over do it. I would recommend a lee factory crimp die.

Take your decapping pin out to resize primed brass.

jjfuller1 11-08-2012 05:12 PM

.223 for an AR should be crimped. as its jostled around in the mag and chamber you dont want the bullet being pushed in.

the case neck size seems too big. ive never had that trouble. is your sizing die set correctly? perhaps its dirty inside?

robocop10mm 11-09-2012 04:59 AM

Occasionally you will get this situation especially with .223. It is caused by over worked brass. .223 is shot and loaded repeatedly and will lose its springiness. Aneal the necks to get best results.

Sport45 11-09-2012 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firelt (Post 1006606)
It's become an issue because I'm finding that after case prep some of the necks are so over-sized that the bullet will actually drop all the way through the neck into the casing when I seat the bullet. Very messy, and even more annoying.

Crimping won't help that a bit. It's case neck tension that holds the bullet in place.

I don't crimp anything for my AR's, but don't see any problem if crimping into a cannelure.

You could be over-expanding. Does the bullet drop through after sizing? Do you use a powder-through expander die that is opening up the neck?

nitestalker 11-09-2012 06:23 AM

You need to mic the expander ball on your sizing die. It is ideal when the bullet falls free into a case neck that has not been sized. This indicates that the neck has not thickened. After the case neck has been sized the bullet should not drop into the case. A case neck that is oversized on the ID will not be cured by crimping. Crimping only works on necks that are holding the bullet in a secure position. The crimp is used hold the bullet against external force or recoil. :)

tri70 11-09-2012 10:52 AM

How many times has the brass been fired & reloaded? Annealing seams to be the fix to keep using the brass or the neck will split soon.

nitestalker 11-09-2012 01:47 PM

Brass that has been reloaded to the point of edging on incipient separation is not likely improved by heat treating. If the brass is so hard it will not reform you will have thick uneven necks from brass flow. The case will likely indicate seperation marks around the case just above the web. The case web in a semi auto is very important. I would not risk a damaged rifle for brass that is as cheap as .223. :)

steve4102 11-09-2012 05:13 PM

You got sizing issues, Bud, and it ain't work hardened brass.

Getting your sizing set up correctly before you even think about loading or crimping

Shade 11-10-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firelt (Post 1006606)
I've read that you should not crimp .223 because it can cause a pressure build up that will damage the upper receiver on an AR-15.

Who every wrote that is wrong, you should crimp ammo for semi's, military ammo is all crimped.

I also use the Lee Factory Crimp die with good success.

If your dies are not closing the case mouth enough to hold the bullet securely you have worn dies and they should be replaced.