To crimp or not to crimp. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > To crimp or not to crimp.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2009, 11:23 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default crimping

Only necessary if you have a automatic weapon or if you have a hard kicking 375 Ouch&ouch or bigger. Crimping does not effect accuracy, just as not crimping does not effect accuracy.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:27 AM   #12

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesnester View Post
Only necessary if you have a automatic weapon or if you have a hard kicking 375 Ouch&ouch or bigger. Crimping does not effect accuracy, just as not crimping does not effect accuracy.
Crimping can and does affect accuracy as it also affects velocity. I little roll crimp never hurt anyone. All Ar or semi-auto rifles I would crimp. For bolt guns try some with and some with out and see which shoots better.

Crimping will affect accuracy if your case neck is not true if you have a neck with .002" more material on one side vs the other then your going to have more crimp on that thicker side causing forces to be applied differently to case, action and barrel.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:33 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 12

since i reload for handguns only,i always crimp, it's safer like that, not counting the good effect it has on the bullet ejection from the cases when perfectly crimped....not too much, just a little pressure of the case on the bullet.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:08 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5744 Times on 3001 Posts
Likes Given: 380

if the bullet has a cannelure for crimping use it. in a semi auto the bullet can sink into the case on firing while waiting in a magazine. i shoot and reload for my .458 winmag and crimping is a must. take a set of calipers to the range and measure the over all length of a non crimped bullet or lightly crimped and put it in the bottom of the magazine for some and then re-measure its eye opening. just chambering a non-crimped round in a semi-auto can reshuffle the head space.

the only time i dont crimp rounds is when i am purposely making super accurate .308 rounds for my remington 700 and fire them by loading one at a time not using the internal magazine.

crimping is important for multiple round weapons whether they are semi auto or not.

crimping is not important for single shot, loading the weapon one round at a time by hand with no magazine or clip.