To Crimp or not?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > To Crimp or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 10:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default To Crimp or not?

I am just getting started in reloading. I have a Remington model 722 in .257 Roberts. The factory bullets I have (Remington Core Lokt), have a crimping groove. A year ago I had planned to get started reloading but I have not found the time until now. I bought some powder, primers and bullets at the local gunshop. The bullets have a crimping groove.

If a bullet has the crimping groove, does it have to be crimped or can it be loaded without crimping? And- how do I know if crimping is necessary, or beneficial? My rifle has a box magazine so the shells aren't stacked end to end. I have been reading the Speer reloading manual, BTW. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-17-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 790 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 229

First of all do a search on the reloading forum. All kinds of questions answered there.
I do not crimp for my bolt rifles. 30-06, .303, and .243. So I ignore the crimp groove and watch the O.A.L However, I taper crimp (ignoring the groove) for my M1A .308/7.62x51 as it is semi auto.
If you feel the need to roll crimp, you must hit the groove, and ever so slight or you will deform the bullet.
Also I only neck size for my bolt rifles.
See, now you have more questions!
Get a good reloading manual, like Lyman, and read from the beginning, not just the loading charts.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Last edited by 25-5; 03-17-2013 at 11:19 PM.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:01 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 927 Times on 483 Posts
Likes Given: 478

Not only do you not have to crimp for your Bolt gun, you don't have to seat the bullets to mid cannelure either.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:50 AM   #4

Bottom line crimping is related to bullet pull --- example 44 mag 357 mag crimping imvropes accuracy (bullet pull) --- In A rifle better accuracy can be obtained with no crimping --- more than 1 round in auto. rifles must be crimped or you will end up with problems. A round seated out to A few ths. off the rifling in A bolt gun is usually accurate. good luck with your reloading --- Tom

Old 03-18-2013, 10:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25-5 View Post
First of all do a search on the reloading forum. All kinds of questions answered there.
I do not crimp for my bolt rifles. 30-06, .303, and .243. So I ignore the crimp groove and watch the O.A.L However, I taper crimp (ignoring the groove) for my M1A .308/7.62x51 as it is semi auto.
If you feel the need to roll crimp, you must hit the groove, and ever so slight or you will deform the bullet.
Also I only neck size for my bolt rifles.
See, now you have more questions!
Get a good reloading manual, like Lyman, and read from the beginning, not just the loading charts.
Thank you. I did read the chapters on basics of reloading and not just the info for .257 Roberts. I read about the reasons for crimping, but I didn't see it addressed whether a bullet with a crimping groove had to be crimped. It looks like the answer is not necessarily. Thanks, again.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:57 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 790 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 229

You have the right idea. Just in these few posts you learned when you crimp into the cannelure.
For other load data check out http://www.hodgdon.com/
It is an informative site. You can choose data with different powders and bullet weights. And, it's free.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V