You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

Crimp and die question by a newbie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2010, 10:26 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Glocks shoot reloads just great as long as there jacked its the lead slugs that are babe the glock rifleings that are the problem and it dose not take long either, new a guy "still do" that blew up his glock in ten rounds shooting lead

Old 06-14-2010, 01:29 PM   #12
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 4118 Times on 2103 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Taper crimping should be done in a separate operation from bullet seating. Many manufacturers have a taper crimp/seat die. You should not do both operations at once. With some adjustments you can use the same die for the two separate operations. Roll crimping (revolvers) can be done in the same operation (bullets have a crimp groove).

I use separate crimp dies in the 4th station of my Dillon. As I do not have a separate crimp only die for the .40/10mm, I use the seat die from the .45 ACP set for bullet seating and the crimp/seat die from the .40/10mm set for crimping. I just unscrew the seater stem from this die to turn it into a crimp only die.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:30 PM   #13

"Fuzzball - Please state the die manufactures. I have both LEE and DILLON seating Dies for 9mm & .40cal and neither will not crimp at all. "

Please excuse me. I thought my comment, "All handgun die sets I know of..." would suggest to reasonable readers that I don't profess to know everything about all dies made today. (Actually, I still think that. ??)

Let me be clear: My Lee seaters crimp. I've never used Dillon. I don't bother with minor cartridges and I didn't know what you have until now.

And even now I'm not totally sure what "neither will not crimp" means. But, it really doesn't matter so I'll give you some slack on that.

Last edited by Fuzzball; 06-14-2010 at 04:34 PM.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshfireart View Post
Glocks shoot reloads just great as long as there jacked its the lead slugs that are babe the glock rifleings that are the problem and it dose not take long either, new a guy "still do" that blew up his glock in ten rounds shooting lead
Dude...WTF??????

Where the hell did you go to high school? I had to read that three times to figure out what the heck you were talking about.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:49 PM   #15

Liked 1470 Times on 819 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO01 View Post
I am not aware of any gun maker that hasn't got a disclaimer in their manuls that say that your warranty is void if you shoot reloads in their guns are you ?

I have owned guns made by S&W , Colt , Remington , Mossberg , Ruger , Savage , Firestorm , Charles Daly , Taurus , Rossi and Marlin , and in every makers manual all had it clearly spelled out .
Sure, but do they need to?

There is a magnitude of difference between good liability measures and empirical data.

All you Kool-Aid drinkers, count your fingers. That tally may be different after shooting reloads.

Crimp and die question by a newbie - Ammunition & Reloading it!

"Glock Kaboom" - 5,980
"S&W Kaboom" - 1,040
"Colt Kaboom" - 79
"Remington Kaboom" - 4
"Mossberg Kaboom" - 1
"Ruger Kaboom" - 64
"Savage Kaboom" - 3
"Firestorm Kaboom" - 2
"Charles Daly Kaboom" - 0
"Taurus Kaboom" - 71
"Rossi Kaboom" - 0
"Marlin Kaboom" - 5

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 06-14-2010, 06:50 PM   #16

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts

RCBS dies taper crimp for all semi-auto rounds. Revolver rounds are all roll crimped. A good taper crimp is needed on all semi-auto rounds as the pistols headspace off the case mouth.

Glocks are not to shoot reloads because they have an unsupported chamber. One time you MAY get away with it. The unsupported chamber allows the brass to bulge at the base where you DO NOT want it happening. If you want to shoot reload in your Glock you need to buy a new barrel with a SUPPORTED chamber. The unsupported chamber allows the Glock to function even when extremely dirty.

Lead bullets have nothing to do with Glocks blowing up. Lead bullets are not to be used in Glocks as well because of the craptastic job they do in rifling them. The polygonal rifling does not provide enough bite to use lead or plated bullets. Look at it this was a jacketed 45 cal bullet for a 45acp is .451" in dia. a lead bullet for 45acp is .452" in dia

Old 06-14-2010, 07:56 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Dude...WTF??????

Where the hell did you go to high school? I had to read that three times to figure out what the heck you were talking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshfireart View Post
Ok ROBOCOP laugh at the fat kid with glass....BUT YOU DID FIGURE IT OUT RIGHT.....

Old 06-14-2010, 08:28 PM   #18

Oh trust me, I have had to decipher all kinds of butchery of the English language. I read police reports everyday that display many of the same characteristics. When I taught report writing, I saw worse. Much worse.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:06 PM   #19

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts

We are not laughing at the fat kid. We are trying to help the dumb kid get smarter.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:57 PM   #20

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzball View Post
"Fuzzball - Please state the die manufactures. I have both LEE and DILLON seating Dies for 9mm & .40cal and neither will not crimp at all. "

Please excuse me. I thought my comment, "All handgun die sets I know of..." would suggest to reasonable readers that I don't profess to know everything about all dies made today. (Actually, I still think that. ??)

Let me be clear: My Lee seaters crimp. I've never used Dillon. I don't bother with minor cartridges and I didn't know what you have until now.

And even now I'm not totally sure what "neither will not crimp" means. But, it really doesn't matter so I'll give you some slack on that.
OK - Please state that you are using "FACTORY CRIMP DIES" - Yes they do seat as well as crimp. But if you want to control the seating of the projectile and then crimp it in place, A 2 step process is better.