Crimp and die question by a newbie
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Crimp and die question by a newbie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2010, 01:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Crimp and die question by a newbie

I'm just getting into reloading and looking at buying my first sets of dies for 40 S&W, 45 ACP and 9mm. I fire all from automatics (Springfield, Glock, Beretta) respectively. Do I need a crimp die? As I look at sets some have them and some don't. I saw in another post that "some seating dies for pistol calibers taper crimp when you seat them" so when I load these calibers will the taper crimp be enough with a seat die that taper crimps? Or do I need to have a specific crimp die? Not clear on this - please someone educate me, I'm sorry I sound like such a rock ape here but I really want to grasp all the details before I screw this up. Thanks for the help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-12-2010, 02:04 AM   #2

You need to be able to crimp. Well, actually, for auto loaders it's not much of a "crimp", it's more like taking the expanded flare out of the case mouth so the cartridge will chamber easily. Meaning, you need to take it easy even with a taper crimper.

All handgun die sets I know of include a crimping ring in the seating die so, no you don't NEED a seperate crimper die. MAYBE later on, after you get well grounded in the loading process you MAY want a seperate crimp die but, if you do, you will know it and know why without asking us.

The crimping ring will be correct for the cartridge, taper crimp for autos, roll crimp for revolvers so that's not normally a problem.

Reloading's really not so complicated, even I can do it!

Old 06-12-2010, 02:05 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5511 Times on 2878 Posts
Likes Given: 358

you will get different opinions. mine happens to fall on the dedicated crimp die side. i just like making sure the bullet isnt going to seat itself deeper or pull itself out. for bolt rifle target shooting i load one round in the rifle at a time so i dont crimp those loads all else gets a heavy crimp.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:23 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I had no problem seating and crimping jacketed bullets in one step for 45auto.
Cast, plated and moly coated lead was shaving bullets as it was crimping the mouth while it was doing the last 1/16" or so of seating.
I've gone to using a separate crimping die. The lee factory crimp works very well.
I'm going back to moly coated soon so I bought a regular redding taper crimp die as the manufacturer advises against the Lee for their moly bullets.

Oh and welcome to the forum! Stop by the Introduction section when you get a chance BAMonty, and introduce yourself to the rest of the forum

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Last edited by Gatekeeper; 06-12-2010 at 02:26 AM.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:14 AM   #5

Default Thanks!!

I really appreciate your responses. I've been a life-long hunter and am about a year from retiring from the Marine Corps and just now decided it is time to start loading my own ammo - costs here in CA are getting ridiculous!! I am very happy to have found this forum and really am thankful to have your input. Have a good one and Semper Fi!!

Old 06-12-2010, 01:59 PM   #6

And a Semper Fi to you too, sir. Thanks for filling the ranks of America's defenders.

Many of the larger military bases used to have specialty hobby clubs for the troops, maybe they still do. Gun Clubs were common and some had modest reloading set ups for members. Maybe your base has one? If so, you can bet the members would be happy to help you get started.

Last edited by Fuzzball; 06-12-2010 at 02:03 PM.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:16 PM   #7

You dont have to have a separate crimp die but sitting up the seating die correctly to crimp in one step took a bit of time with the lead bullets to not to shave the lead, but if i had read the instruction i would not have had 2000 rd that would only chamber in my 625 S&W long story but i to can learn

Old 06-13-2010, 08:57 PM   #8

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Shoot the reloads in your glock and not only do you void the warranty but you set yourself up for a KaBoom!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 06-13-2010, 09:37 PM   #9

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzball View Post

All handgun die sets I know of include a crimping ring in the seating die so, no you don't NEED a separate crimp die.

Fuzzball - Please state the die manufactures. I have both LEE and DILLON seating Dies for 9mm & .40cal and neither will not crimp at all.

Recommendation - A separate Lee taper crimp die works wonders.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Shoot the reloads in your glock and not only do you void the warranty but you set yourself up for a KaBoom!
I am not aware of any gun maker that hasn't got a disclaimer in their manuls that say that your warranty is void if you shoot reloads in their guns are you ?

I have owned guns made by S&W , Colt , Remington , Mossberg , Ruger , Savage , Firestorm , Charles Daly , Taurus , Rossi and Marlin , and in every makers manual all had it clearly spelled out .