Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Couple of Ammo Questions (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/couple-ammo-questions-80393/)

tworley 01-05-2013 07:10 AM

Couple of Ammo Questions

My grandfather recently gave me an old Mossberg .22LR semi-auto and an old Springfield/Savage .410 shotgun (bolt action with 3 round mag). In addition, he also a couple boxes of old ammo for them. Here's the problems:

The old ammo in the Mossberg tends to jam every couple of rounds. I bought some new ammo and there doesn't seem to be any problem with them, so I'm assuming the problem is with the older rounds. I've been told that applying a little bit of oil to the old rounds will help clear up the jamming issue. Is that true? Are there any other tricks anyone would recommend for the older rounds?

On the .410, I think I know what the problem is, but I am hoping for a second opinion. After firing a shell, the spent casing is not ejecting from the chamber, so I have to manually pull out the casing before I can load the next shell. It didn't occur to me the other day while I was shooting to check on the size of the shells I was given. But sure enough they're 2.5 inch shells and the shotgun is a 3 inch barrel. What I'm wondering is whether or not the wrong size shell would account for the casing not ejecting or if maybe I'm looking at a problem with the bolt assembly. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks.

filter777 01-05-2013 07:37 AM

Check the brass base of the shotshell. If its real old, you may just need to polish that brass. Any corrosion could cause those issues.

c3shooter 01-05-2013 11:54 AM

Tworley- oiling the ammo is not the answer- and may result in a squib load (bullet getting stuck in barrel- very bad thing) Replace the ammo.

Both the rifle and the shotgun may need cleaning and light lubrication.

Using a 2.5 inch shotshell in a 3 inch chamber is not a problem- the extactors/chamber being dirty may be- as will a broken extractor. Clean bolt and chamber, check extractors.

Your shotgun is likely an 83 or 183 series. You did not say what the model is of your rifle.

tonydewar 01-05-2013 03:26 PM

the shot may not have an ejector, only a extractor

tworley 01-06-2013 04:54 PM

Thanks for the information guys. I had already decided to go ahead and tear apart both guns for a good cleaning (the .22 could use re-bluing as well), so it's good to know what to check for along the way.

As for the models - the .22LR is a Mossberg 352KD - manufactured in the late 60's - early 70's; assuming my information on it is correct.

The shotgun is a Springfield model 18c - manufactured by Savage Arms - can't find a whole lot of information that one. My grandfather tells me that he purchased it used out of a pawn shop in 1975-'76. So I'm assuming that it's about the same age as the Mossberg.

On the shotgun ammo, there's something I've always be curious about...does it make a whole lot of difference to fire different length shell than what the barrel is designed for (IE firing a 2.5 in a 3 inch gun)?

Sorry if some of my questions seem a little elementary. While I've used guns for most all of my adult life, I'm pretty well self-taught when it comes to the ends and outs of firearms.

Thanks again for the help.

c3shooter 01-06-2013 05:59 PM

Your Mossberg was made from 1960-1971. Serial numbers came into being for those rifles in 1968 (earlier, not required). Takedown is almost instinctive, but can dig you out some instructions if you need them. Based on the earlier Mossberg 152K design.

Your Savage/Springfield/Stevens was about 1965-1981. Here is a schematic- http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/SavageStevensSpringfieldFox-33479/Shotguns-40503/18C-41274.htm?results=All

Extractor is the little sheet metal bit at the front of the bolt (part 10) ejector is the little wire looking doodad- part 12.

Reference shorter shells- with the exception of a few autoloaders (Remington 1100 comes to mind) can shoot shorter shells than marked with no issues. HOWEVER, while a longer-than-marked shell may fit, THOSE can be very dangerous to fire. With a shotshell, on firing, front of the shell OPENS. There is a space designed for it to open into. Too long a shell, it opens inside the forcing cone- no room for it, spikes pressures.

Be sure to clean well under the extractor. They are sheet steel and DO wear, but crud is the #1 problem.