Could Bullets Be Dangerous? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

Could Bullets Be Dangerous?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2007, 01:07 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Berry, a cook-off wasn't my issue, I only addressed the fact that there is no "tiny fuse" in a bullet. Ammunition, ie, cartridges, are not bullets and the question referenced bullets only.

I don't think anyone would be attempting to clear a jam if the action was sufficently hot to cause a cook-off.

Last edited by 1hole; 10-16-2007 at 12:17 PM.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:00 AM   #12

Not every one is blessed with knowing the correct terminology...
The original question was about cartridges (bullets) and primers (little fuses)...

Old 10-26-2007, 03:10 PM   #13

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

When an outside heat source is applied to a loaded cartridge you really do not have to worry about the bullet at all. We will take a 45acp for example. The standard load is a 230gr bullet loaded with say a max load of 231 (5.3gr). The heat will when high enough ignite the powder and/or the primer. With out the supporting of a chamber the brass case walls are the weakest part of the whole thing. So with the pressure building in the case you would really get a pop and then the case would either break into small shrapnel like shards and fly off or the case its self would fly off with little if any force.

I have experimented with this. (Don't ask) but yes when I was a bit younger and a lot more stupid i did stuff like this. never will the bullet fly out because of Newton's third law (To every action there is an equal and opposite reaction). This would mean that the case and the bullet would need to weigh the same and provide the exact same ammount of surface area in contact with the burning powder. For the heated cartridge to expell the bullet at the same velociety as the case.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:36 PM   #14

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

"Not every one is blessed with knowing the correct terminology...
The original question was about cartridges (bullets) and primers (little fuses)..."

Granted. But, in respect to him, I prefer to accept that the poster knows what he's talking about and respond in kind, not to "assume" I know more of what he's asking than he.