Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Cotton Mouth(s)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2011, 11:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Cotton Mouth(s)

I'm a half way decent shot, but ever tried to hit a water moccasin (cotton mouth) in the head on the move, with a .45 auto? The sporting goods store didn't have any CCI snake shot for my .357, only 9mm & .45, so I bought a ten box of .45's. I'm playing cat and mouse with those fat deadly creatures on my mini-farm here in Tennessee. I see them when I least expect them, like walking down 200 yards to my mail box, or fiddle farting in my garden. Anyway, I finally had an opportunity to dispatch one close to my pond on the side of the gravel driveway. My Kimber doesn't like the cartridge I suppose and by the time I finally got one racked in the chamber, it was gone. Should have carried it in condition one I guess. The kill range of the shot is probably half the snakes strike range anyway I seen several of them but since the flooding has subsided I hope they went elsewhere. The neighbor (a half mile away) said he killed 13 with his 12 gage. Anyone else have a snake problem?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-06-2011, 12:23 AM   #2
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

May want one of these: Smith and Wesson Governor

Old 06-06-2011, 12:29 AM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Watch that little plastic disk that holds the shot in those 45's. They break pretty easy and let the shot out. I've gone to using primer seal to help keep the shot in. I don't know if that will create a pressure problem or not but I don't think so given the small charge. But anyway, those little disks can come loose if you re-chamber the same round several times as well. Just a heads up.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed to George Washington --
Patriot Guard Rider

Old 06-06-2011, 12:30 AM   #4

I wouldn't deck one of those nasty bastards with anything less than a 20 gauge from 15 feet with #7 shot, and then probably three shots minimum.

No venomous snakes here in VT, but when I was in the Army I was more worried about those damn things than anything else (aside from artillary guys that couldn't range )

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 06-06-2011, 03:35 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Only with the two legged kind of snakes....

Long ago, I got my first .22 revolver. A High Standard Double 9.
It came with a lot of ammo and amongst was a brick of .22 bird shot rounds.
Out of those 500 rounds, one kill was made. I was so amazed I skinned the little bird to see what actually did it in.
One pellet. One of the #12 shot actually hit it in the back of the head and kilt the poor chi-chi.
I haven't bought any shot cartridges since. In a rifled barrel they just spread to fast to be effective.
Besides, that's what a shotgun is for. Shot. LOL

But that S&W Governor sure sounds tempting.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:48 AM   #6

There just part of every day life down here in FL, hopefully they go away on there own for you if not get a good pair of snake boots. good luck

Old 06-06-2011, 02:16 PM   #7

Liked 400 Times on 249 Posts
Likes Given: 1124

i deal with rattle snakes here there not always bad but some years there worse then others.when i go into snake country i usally carry my 38spl. with bird shot.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:55 PM   #8

Liked 76 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

No way would I shoot a water moccasin with anything less than a .410 and would prefer a 12 gauge. A water moccasin, cotton mouth, copper head are the meanest snakes there are. They give no warning and are territorial. Get too close or hurt one and they will come after you. They're not slow either.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 06-06-2011, 03:21 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Copperheads love our front porch. It's concrete and in the evening they like to lay out on it. I kill 4 or 5 every year just using a stick and a knife. Hold them down with the stick and cut their heads off. My wife is not allowed to walk around outside at night without her personal guard dog (half boxer, half german shepherd). He killed a rattlesnake a few feet from her last year.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #10

Liked 76 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I killed this timber rattler by my mother in laws pool from 3 feet. The shot cup took his head off. If it had been a moccasin I'd have gotten bit.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php