Cost of Reloads
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Cost of Reloads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 02:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Cost of Reloads

Hey guys Im trying to figure out what the cost of a box (50rds) 9mm factory new vs what you what pay for 50rds hand reloads. Assume you reuse range brass. I did some primitive math and Im guessing you save $2 a box $11 Sellier Bellot vs $9 reloaded with mid to lower price components??

Fyi. I have never reloaded before.. Trying to see if its cost effective

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-19-2012, 02:48 AM   #2

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Bro, if your not talking of rounds in the 1000's rather than 50's don't even worry about reloading.

Scubie

Old 01-19-2012, 03:07 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10274 Times on 4433 Posts
Likes Given: 1628

NOT COUNTING the cost of a press, dies, and a scale- and assuming you have (or can scrounge) brass-

AROUND $10 per hundred. Here is a calculator you can use-

Handloading Cost Calculator

You can check what it will cost you to buy powder, primers and bullets where you are (you do NOT want to pay shipping on HAZMAT- trust me)

I pulled price of components from local store, used Unique powder, with a middle of the road load, 115 grain Hornady bullet- and got $9.77. Allow for a couple of spoiled rounds, odd penny for case lube, cleaning, etc.

9mm Parabellum is cheap pistol ammo to buy- but you CAN save a buck or two- and make good quality ammo. You really save when you get into some of the more expensive rounds- I have a Winchester 71, caliber .348 Winchester- and when you can find it, it can run $50-$75 per 20 rounds.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:09 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Thats what i figured.. Doing it for a monthly trip to the range and 300 rds seemed not to be cost effective. I may only do 3k rounds a year. Id have to pool with other shooters to get economies of scale! Thanks for the help

Old 01-19-2012, 03:41 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3179 Times on 1652 Posts
Likes Given: 322

To me the benefit is not in $ savings, but self satisfaction of being self sufficient. 9mm is a bad example because it is not very expensive to begin with so savings are minimal. I load for 12 different handgun calibers and 14 different rifle calibers plus 12 ga shot shells and slugs. I cast my own bullets for most of these. Some calibers have huge cost savings (like .45-70) and I can custom load specialty ammo that is not commercially available at any cost.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #6

Liked 54 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Another benefit is when there is no ammo in the store you can make you own

Old 01-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #7
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
To me the benefit is not in $ savings, but self satisfaction of being self sufficient. 9mm is a bad example because it is not very expensive to begin with so savings are minimal. I load for 12 different handgun calibers and 14 different rifle calibers plus 12 ga shot shells and slugs. I cast my own bullets for most of these. Some calibers have huge cost savings (like .45-70) and I can custom load specialty ammo that is not commercially available at any cost.
Just interesting in know what those 12 might be. There only about 9 or 10 commonly used calibers for handguns.....unless you're including shot shells such as 410 used in 'judge' type handguns.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #8

Liked 45 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I think the biggest benefit of reloading is not saving money, but rather being able to make ammunition that works very well in a specific gun. Being able to make ammunition for any gun is important because the availability of it is not guaranteed.