Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Cost for reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 11:39 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Thanks guys, This is very helpful. I may explore reloading myslef at the costs you quote it would be quite reasonable. Never thought about "manyfacturing". Very good point.
Lots to think about here. Again - how long will the "shortage" (total absence of ammo in our area) last.

Life is Short make a difference today!

Old 03-31-2013, 12:26 PM   #12

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Take a look at a RCBS reloading set and dies. Order cataloges from RCBS, Hornady, and Redding. Also get cataloges from various mail order cataloges . Do not get the cheapest brand of equipment available. I started reloading in 1953 and have kept equipment from the three companies listed. Since some congressman have said there should be a high tax on ammo and there should be more gun laws people have ben panic purchasing of arms and ammo. I dont know long it will take for the panic to be over. But when I started reloading copper was selling for under 20 cents per pound , now it is over $ 3 per pound on the world market so brass cases will reflect those prices.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

amstutz
Find someone at the range who loads and ask if you bring your components to his house, will he let you use his equipment. That way he has no liability.
You will get free lessons, tips on how to do things, things to be aware of when you get your own setup.
Check craigslist for equipment.
You will not need to trim pistol cases. You shouldn't need a tumbler/cleaner for anything, especially since you said your brass is clean.
If you get an approval/invitation, ask if he's a beer drinker. If so, bring a 6 pack of THE BEST beer you can find.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:14 AM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoGrrr View Post
amstutz
Find someone at the range who loads and ask if you bring your components to his house, will he let you use his equipment. That way he has no liability.
You will get free lessons, tips on how to do things, things to be aware of when you get your own setup.
Check craigslist for equipment.
You will not need to trim pistol cases. You shouldn't need a tumbler/cleaner for anything, especially since you said your brass is clean.
If you get an approval/invitation, ask if he's a beer drinker. If so, bring a 6 pack of THE BEST beer you can find.

Good advice!

Also there are deals to be had on eBay, GunBroker, AuctionArms, etc, etc.
If your patient you can get some pretty good prices, but then you will need a work bench and shelving space. Besides, I think if you are going to shoot it, you should load it. Don't rely on anyone else to be as extra careful as you will be. besides, once you try it you will be hooked!

And it doesn't have to be beer you know!

Old 04-17-2013, 02:28 AM   #15

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

I started actually reloading about 2 months ago. But for the last 6-8 months I've had the goal to reload. I picked up items (that I vetted via person to person contact or interwebs) usually on sale or in some cases slightly used. There is a good front end investment, but once you figure out what you will need(realistically) then you can really save some good money.

Area prep is a cost that will probably be incurred in this. Not to mention all the little extras that are either needed or make a world if different in ease of operation.

My 2 pennies. Take your time. No rush. And find good deals. Don't spend more $$ than you need to through a false sense of urgency. It's the same "finish" line once you get what you have to have to reload. Then it's a game of what else is justified for use in the operation hehe.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:56 AM   #16

Liked 4781 Times on 2677 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Now that is a well thought out plan. Find a stranger at the shooting range who reloads. Buy plenty of good beer and have him teach you how to reload. Loading ammunition is properly controlling often extreme pressures near your face. I hope this is a sobering post.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:23 AM   #17
Home Sweet Home!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16977 Times on 9833 Posts
Likes Given: 44231

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Now that is a well thought out plan. Find a stranger at the shooting range who reloads. Buy plenty of good beer and have him teach you how to reload. Loading ammunition is properly controlling often extreme pressures near your face. I hope this is a sobering post.
i guess i wasn't the only one that was thinking that!

my suggestion would be to buy the book, The ABC's Of Reloading and read it several times. get familiar with it very well. buy your own reloading equipment and learn to do it yourself. follow all safety procedures to the letter. there is agood reason. they will keep you from getting hurt or blowing up a firearm.

check out MidwayUSA or MidSouth Shooters Supply for reloading equipment. prices are reasonable and customer service is good, along with fast shipping.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:07 AM   #18

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

I use the Lee Turret press with dies from RCBS, Hornady and Lee. 3 different manuals but always have 1 with new info. You can get in at close to $200-250.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 04-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #19

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

+1 for Lee equipment. I have a Lee Classic Turret and love it. It works well for novice and experienced alike. Good and solid, I don't feel like I have to worry about the materials and can concentrate on process more. Then again. I'm certain just about about any single stage or turret you get will do the job. Take it easy and don't force it if it isn't right and you're gtg.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #20

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Nite and axx
While you know you're being facetious with your comments, OP does not. Comments like yours will simply make enemies which is not what the list was intended for. Get real, already.
C'Mon fellas. amstutz is looking for advice and we're (supposedly) trying to help him. But it seems you are trying to make a farce out of reloading and more economical shooting.

Having a little hands-on experience will prompt one to ask some intelligent questions which is far better than having to blindly buy things you have no idea about.