Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Cost for reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/cost-reloading-87854/)

amstutz 03-30-2013 11:16 PM

Cost for reloading

I, like everyone, have found it impossible to find practice ammo. BUT I have located and purchased 1000 rounds of brass, bullets, primers and powder. The brass is cleaned (acid bath) and tumbled.
My question is how much is reasonable to pay to have a friend load the ammo for me?
I have "invested" $230.00 in the materials. All I need is a reliable person to reload at a "reasonable" cost. WHAT IS A REASONABLE COST PER 100?

elfmdl 03-30-2013 11:33 PM

Depends on how good of friends you are. I reload some of my friends for a little over cost.

amstutz 03-30-2013 11:55 PM

maybe friends is a relative term. I know the guy but I want him to spend his time reloading for me at a fair price.

jjfuller1 03-31-2013 12:05 AM

hmm. whats the local minimum wage??

for me its hard to really set a price on reloading...

if i was helping a friend i would just tell him what to buy and bring a 12 pack over.

Apex-Predator 03-31-2013 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjfuller1 (Post 1197336)
if i was helping a friend i would just tell him what to buy and bring a 12 pack over.

Yep. Don't crack one open till the reloading is done though :)

beaglesam 03-31-2013 01:00 AM

amstutz, have you thought about investing another $200, and reloading yourself?

amstutz 03-31-2013 01:38 AM

yes I have thought about reloading. If I thought I could do it for $200 I'd jump at the chance. Two problems equipment is out of stock and, from what I read here $200 is not nearly enough. Press, dies, scale, tumbler and media, manuals and that is just the beginning.
I have a guy who wants to load for me for $10.00 per 100. I'm trying to figure out what is fair and reasonable.

beaglesam 03-31-2013 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amstutz (Post 1197474)
yes I have thought about reloading. If I thought I could do it for $200 I'd jump at the chance. Two problems equipment is out of stock and, from what I read here $200 is not nearly enough. Press, dies, scale, tumbler and media, manuals and that is just the beginning.
I have a guy who wants to load for me for $10.00 per 100. I'm trying to figure out what is fair and reasonable.

Actually under $200, at the last gun show I found several Lee Turret kits with everything but the dies for $120 and dies are another $40. I don't know where you live, but it is still an option SW Ohio.

nitestalker 03-31-2013 02:13 AM

Reloading ammunition for others is manufacturing. Federal and state laws require a Federal Licence to provide this service. There is also the issue of liability insurance. Friends can also become litigants .:eek:

noylj 03-31-2013 04:49 AM

Press-yes, but even the Lee Reloading Press at $25-30 will reload just fine
dies--yes, and Lee makes find dies
scale--for simple starting/target loads, one can use a Lee dipper and Lee data for the dipper to make perfectly safe loads for a while, though you will want a decent ($50+) scale soon after, and then a powder measure or a cheap trickler to trickle powder on the scale to the weight you want.
tumbler and media--nope, all you NEED to do is wipe off the case exterior. Everything beyond that is done for YOUR pleasure, with no effect on accuracy
manuals--look in used book stores or library if you can't afford new ones.
and that is just the beginning--no, for pistols, that is pretty much it. For bottleneck case, you will definitely need a case trimmer.
There are lots of "tools" made for people that love to play, but this what you need.