corrosion on ammo

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > corrosion on ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 12:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 287 Times on 193 Posts

Default corrosion on ammo

A friend of mine was kind enough to give me a couple hundred rounds of reloaded 9mm. However i supose the ammo was in contact with some moisture during years of storage. Some rounds were discolored and some had spots of corrosion. I went through every one with a wire brush, steel wool, and/or a rag. The exterior cleaned up pretty nicely.
My question is:
Should i be worried about any internal damage from around the primer or end of the shell? There were some that were really corroded that he didn't even give me and a few that actually had cracked shells. I just wanted to be sure before i take them to the range. If there are some "clicks", i can live with that but i don't want anything catastrophic. Any advice or experience would be appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-11-2013, 12:28 AM   #2

forumrunner_20130210_202816.jpg

forumrunner_20130210_202837.jpg

And a before and after

Old 02-11-2013, 01:10 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5521 Times on 2883 Posts
Likes Given: 358

personally i wouldnt shoot someone else's handloads. if those were mine i would pull the bullets toss the powder and reload them with new powder. how do you know that the other person didnt make super special bear killin bullets and souped em up to unsafe levels??

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-11-2013, 01:24 AM   #4

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
personally i wouldnt shoot someone else's handloads. if those were mine i would pull the bullets toss the powder and reload them with new powder. how do you know that the other person didnt make super special bear killin bullets and souped em up to unsafe levels??
That, and op mentioned the guy had kept ones with cracked cases.... which means the guy didn't pay attention while loading them

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 02-11-2013, 01:35 AM   #5

The guy that gave them to me acquired them from a friend that had passed.....(from his widow) . Various calibers and the guns to go with them. Im pretty confident they were loaded to standard levels. I was more concerned with the corrosion seeping into the powder....hoping it remained on the outside of the round

Old 02-11-2013, 01:50 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5521 Times on 2883 Posts
Likes Given: 358

your really going to trust some guy twice removed you dont know to load your ammo?? ammo that wasnt stored correctly with no care taken as to the condition of the cases at load time to then mysteriously decide to rigoursly follow correct charge weights??

it dunna make sense...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-11-2013, 01:53 AM   #7

Im not expecting super reliability and am not going to use it for carry or HD. I Was just wondering if it was safe to take it to the range.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5541 Times on 3136 Posts
Likes Given: 4839

I can't tell anyone else what to do. But my son won't shoot my loads, and I won't shoot his.

Not a matter of trust, just a rule I drilled into him from early childhood.

Don't shoot someone else's reloads.

works for me.

Winston Churchill