Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   corrosion on ammo (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/corrosion-ammo-83920/)

nosaj 02-11-2013 12:17 AM

corrosion on ammo

A friend of mine was kind enough to give me a couple hundred rounds of reloaded 9mm. However i supose the ammo was in contact with some moisture during years of storage. Some rounds were discolored and some had spots of corrosion. I went through every one with a wire brush, steel wool, and/or a rag. The exterior cleaned up pretty nicely.
My question is:
Should i be worried about any internal damage from around the primer or end of the shell? There were some that were really corroded that he didn't even give me and a few that actually had cracked shells. I just wanted to be sure before i take them to the range. If there are some "clicks", i can live with that but i don't want anything catastrophic. Any advice or experience would be appreciated.

nosaj 02-11-2013 12:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 84715

Attachment 84716

And a before and after

JonM 02-11-2013 01:10 AM

personally i wouldnt shoot someone else's handloads. if those were mine i would pull the bullets toss the powder and reload them with new powder. how do you know that the other person didnt make super special bear killin bullets and souped em up to unsafe levels??

pagj17 02-11-2013 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1132790)
personally i wouldnt shoot someone else's handloads. if those were mine i would pull the bullets toss the powder and reload them with new powder. how do you know that the other person didnt make super special bear killin bullets and souped em up to unsafe levels??

That, and op mentioned the guy had kept ones with cracked cases.... which means the guy didn't pay attention while loading them

nosaj 02-11-2013 01:35 AM

The guy that gave them to me acquired them from a friend that had passed.....(from his widow) . Various calibers and the guns to go with them. Im pretty confident they were loaded to standard levels. I was more concerned with the corrosion seeping into the powder....hoping it remained on the outside of the round

JonM 02-11-2013 01:50 AM

your really going to trust some guy twice removed you dont know to load your ammo?? ammo that wasnt stored correctly with no care taken as to the condition of the cases at load time to then mysteriously decide to rigoursly follow correct charge weights??

it dunna make sense...

nosaj 02-11-2013 01:53 AM

Im not expecting super reliability and am not going to use it for carry or HD. I Was just wondering if it was safe to take it to the range.

locutus 02-11-2013 10:36 PM

I can't tell anyone else what to do. But my son won't shoot my loads, and I won't shoot his.

Not a matter of trust, just a rule I drilled into him from early childhood.

Don't shoot someone else's reloads.

works for me.