Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Copper Fouling Yes, But Brass Fouling? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/copper-fouling-yes-but-brass-fouling-37084/)

gorknoids 01-19-2011 03:33 AM

Copper Fouling Yes, But Brass Fouling?

Just curious if anyone has read/experienced anything regarding fouling from brass-jacketed bullets, and if so how best to deal with it.

Nomadicone 01-19-2011 08:42 AM

Been shooting for 50 years and reloading for about as long and never heard of a brass bullet or brass fowling. Not saying there isn't, just never heard of it.

Eric0424 01-19-2011 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomadicone (Post 425010)
Been shooting for 50 years and reloading for about as long and never heard of a brass bullet or brass fowling. Not saying there isn't, just never heard of it.

Remington Golden Sabers, Rem. Golden Bullets (22LR) and a lot of Montana Gold are brass jacketed, I believe there are others but I can't remember any at the moment.

Edit: I just remembered the Fiocchi ammunition I have in 9mm Makarov are brass jacketed too.

Jay 01-19-2011 12:47 PM

I'm not a fan of Remington ammunition, but brass is cheaper than copper... it figures that Remington would use it. (just my opinion)

Brass and Copper are cousins, and I'd guess that what would clean up one, would work on the other.... but I have no first hand knowledge of that, one way or the other.

Nomadicone 01-19-2011 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric0424 (Post 425018)
Remington Golden Sabers, Rem. Golden Bullets (22LR) and a lot of Montana Gold are brass jacketed, I believe there are others but I can't remember any at the moment.

Edit: I just remembered the Fiocchi ammunition I have in 9mm Makarov are brass jacketed too.

You are so correct. I had forgotten and I shot Montana Golds for one year in USPSA and have several hundred Golden Sabres in my reloading supplies. LOL Back to your original question I guess I never experienced fowling but you bring up an interesting point. With jacket fowling one tends to fall back on chemicals to remove fowling and the same one that work on copper may not work on brass.

robocop10mm 01-19-2011 09:24 PM

Brass is copper alloyed with zinc. Copper solvent (Ammonia based) should work just fine on Brass FOULING.

As far as brass fowling. I am not sure you want to go bird hunting with brass shot.

orangello 01-19-2011 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 425373)
Copper solvent (Ammonia based) should work just fine on Brass FOULING.

Finally! A use for all of that cat urine i've been saving.
;)

BILLYBOB44 01-20-2011 03:28 AM

Just say NO to cat urine..

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 425408)
Finally! A use for all of that cat urine i've been saving.
;)

THAT--I will NOT clean a gun with...:p