Copper Cast
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Copper Cast

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Default Copper Cast

I posted this in a thread a while ago, but yeah. I should have made a thread for it instead.

Anyway, I have a near endless supply of copper from work. They just throw away the used up tips and cones instead of recycling them. So I was wondering how difficult it would be to cast some copper bullets. I know that copper melts at a much higher temp than lead. That is a given. But I do have a small propane forge in my shop that gets up around thirty five hundred. So melting it wont be a problem.

My questions are more about the feasibility of this. Am I going to have to get different molds or anything? When buying copper jacketed or copper plated the boxes state the diameter as .451, but HC lead comes in at .452. So will using molds intended to bring lead to .452 with copper be a bad thing? Do ya still have to lube the bullets like you do with lead?

I already know that if I use a lead mold that is supposed to give me 230 gr bullets with copper my weight is going to be different. But I imagine I could just come up with some different load data.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-23-2012, 04:21 AM   #2

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well there are a couple issues that might arise first off you will need a steel mold since Aluminum melts at 1220+ degrees and copper melts at 1984 degrees. You also have to deal with the issue of cutting the sprue off a solidified copper bullet plus I don't think any standard bullet mold would hold up to the heat issue long term.

Solid commercial copper bullets aren't cast there either go through a multi stamp forging process to form them or are individually milled form a solid copper slug.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2012/10/how-bullets-are-made-inside-look-at-the-barnes-factory/

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2012/03/how-barnes-bullets-are-made-views-from-inside-the-factory/

Not trying to discourage you but sounds like lots of work and some issues to figure out. I cast lead and may consider swaging my own pistol bullets at some point but I'm going to leave the solid copper bullet to the experts.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:39 AM   #3

I wouldnt think that cutting the sprue would be much of an issue. And my molds are steel.

I figured the issues would be more something like impurities in the cast, or oversized slugs.

But thanks, and I look forward to hearing more.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 10-23-2012, 04:51 AM   #4
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8276 Times on 4782 Posts
Likes Given: 10702

I have cast brass before, never thought of trying copper (brass melts from 1500 to 1800 depending on its content). I wonder if a bullet resizer would work on copper or is it too hard? You could probably alloy it to soften it up some, but I have no idea what with.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:06 AM   #5

Brass depending on the mixture of copper to zinc is around a 3 to 4 on the Mohs scale where as copper is like 2.5 or 3.

I'd think that if the sizer was a carbide type it would be possible. But even steel should work (for a while anyway), normal mild steel is like 5.5

Last edited by Eturnsdale; 10-23-2012 at 05:09 AM.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:13 AM   #6

Also think about how that copper slug will affect the bore of your gun.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:14 AM   #7

You know what I would do? Hoard all of that copper and bring it in to the recycler. They pay good money for clean pure copper. Then buy some lead.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:18 AM   #8

What do you think Ive been doing?

On average I find between ten and twenty pounds a week laying on the floors. Thats just from walking to the break room to where I work every day, and from walking from the time clock to my station and back at the end of the day. I worked a shutdown about a year ago and found almost sixty pounds worth of tips and cones while we were cleaning.

I just wanted to know if there was another way to use this stuff.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Also think about how that copper slug will affect the bore of your gun.
What do you mean? I don't see how a solid copper slug would do anything different than copper jacketed.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale View Post
What do you mean? I don't see how a solid copper slug would do anything different than copper jacketed.
The copper jacket is specifically alloyed for that purpose. Just think how different lead alloys can screw up your bore, lead it up if too soft, etc. Copper will be no different, and I suspect would be more difficult to get the alloy the same every time. I'm just spitballin' here.