Col - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Col

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2009, 06:10 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

"i used lube wd-40, (is that a reatrd move)"

!!!! It sure ain't case sizing lube...

Old 08-11-2009, 07:38 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

CRAP........alright thanks for that guys.

To answer your question the rod that screws down the middle of the resizer lost a little metal sizer piece into the stuck case when i pulled the rod out so when i stuck a screwdriver inside the case to tap it out of the sizer it destroyed the little round metal (neck sizer?) piece that had fallen in. O and i also screwed up most of the threads on just about everything else when i was pissed off last night working on it For lack of a better techinical or engineering term, the whole thing is F**ked so im probably just going to buy a new sizer from midway. Ive used a LEE set before and the sizer was easy to use and they sell just the sizer so i think ill go that direction unless there are better suggestions

Old 08-11-2009, 07:52 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2989 Times on 1557 Posts
Likes Given: 277

Consider a Dillon sizer die. I wore out my original RCBS small base sizer and upgraded to the Dillon. You can order just the sizer directly from Dillion Precision.

The Dillon die is small base configuration. The Dillon also has a built in stuck case remover and Dillon's famous NO BS guarantee.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-11-2009, 08:44 PM   #14

Liked 327 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 30

WD-40 WOW!
When you get your new die, thouroughly clean it before you use it as the factory may have put a preservitive type lube on the die to curtail corrosion. If so you will need get this stuff out. Also dont get any lube on the neck and shoulder of the case when applying and use sizing lube very sparingly. If you dont have one you might consider getting a Universal de-cap die. I usually de-cap primers then clean brass in vibratory cleaner with corn cob media, inspect brass casings for cracks, splits pitting or corrosion, and excessive case bulges. I then clean primer pockets and de-bur fire slot hole in case. Then is when I apply resize lube to case and inside neck, resize case, trim neck to legneth, if necessary, and throw back into vibratory cleaner for awhile to get sizing die lube off casings.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:46 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

sweet, and also damit. More equipment needed !

i knew i was going to need another die but i was going to try and skate by with out buying a case tumbler for a while but oh well overtime is good for now. What about a case trimmer? how bad do i need a trimmer?

Old 08-11-2009, 10:00 PM   #16

Liked 327 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Those case tumblers arn't that much money. I paid around $75.00 for my RCBS vibratory case cleaner. Besides it makes the brass look sooooo good when they are cleaned. The corn cob media is just under $20.00 a box and you can use it for quite a long time. The primer pocket cleaner should have come with your press if you bought it in the kit form and the fire slot deburing tool is only a few dollars and so is the pocket cleaner if you dont have one. The money you pay for these items now will pay off in spades over time. Midway ought to have even better prices than I paid for mine. Plus as you progress in your reloading skills the accuracy of your loads should be considerably more accurate than off the shelf factory ammo. Some say that your case neck will need to be trimmed about every 3 reloads or so. I check mine everytime I resize; some need it and some dont. I have beaucoup quanity of .308 Win. brass I've saved for many years, actually almost a garbage can full and I do batches of large quanity reloads for this caliber. What I find is that the quality of the brass dictates more than anything else how much and how often the case needs to be trimmed. For my .300 Win. Mag. target rifle, I bought all new Nozler brass for this endevour and find that even though it needs to be trimmed almost every reload it usually isnt very much to trim. Nozler is fairly high quality brass and you can get an amazing number of reloads with this brass. Not so much for most factory load commercial brass. I use the RCBS Trim Mate Case prep center only because I may do a batch of a thousand or so .308 Win. in a reload run. I also use the RCBS Trim Pro Power case trimmer. Again because I reload large quanities at a time of this .308 Win. ammo. The little hand tool than holds your primer pocket cleaner and fire slot deburing tool will work just fine and save you alot of money to begin with. Also, you dont need a power case trimmer, a hand crank style will work just fine to begin with as well.

I assume that you at least have a vernier caliper to measure your lenghts and diameters of your ammo as you are reloading it. A good dial indicator with a base is also good to have as well. I perfer the analog read out guages over the digital guages and they all measure to the thousandths (3 points or digits past the decimal point) I use Starrett brand measuring devices as they are extremely good, however, most reload companies have their own and are usually just fine.

IMO you should always reload with extreme precision as to be safe and improve the accuracy of your ammo.

Last edited by mrm14; 08-11-2009 at 10:50 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 08-11-2009, 10:45 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2989 Times on 1557 Posts
Likes Given: 277

Don't buy any more equipment for a few days. i made a bid this weekend on a BUNCH of stuff. If I get the bid, I will have many things you will need up for sale. I am willing to give you first crack.

Note to JD; There is a bunch of Sinclair stuff in this batch that you might be interested in.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-11-2009, 10:52 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks ROBO let me know

Old 08-12-2009, 02:43 PM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Sauce NARC View Post
thanks guys all good info here. I got my dies last night from midway (rcbs competition .223) both dies were clearly labled as 223 but when i tried to size my first round it stuck about 3/8 of an inch from the bottom of the die and i couldnt free it for anything. yes i used lube wd-40, (is that a reatrd move) but it stuck and i destroyed the resizer die getting it out I dont know if it was the wrong size, or was it somthing with my brass, or is wd-40 like case glue or somthing? I have no Idea, but i am rather sure midway wont take the sizer die back now
The best and easiest lube I have found is Lyman Case Lube in a spray. Lubes must be non-reactive with powder and primers, this is why you should never use a commercial lubricant. I made a loading block from a 2 x 3 by drilling two rows of parallel holes the same size as my largest case rim. Place the cleaned cases in the holes and lightly spray both sides. Then get a q-tip saturated with lube and lube the insides of the necks. Now you are ready to resize. Lee dies work great and are guaraneed against breakage. They will also remove hopelessly stuck cases if you send them the die. I have broken several decapping pins over the years by depriming military brass with crimped primers. Lee has always mailed me replacement pins for free. I have even broken hardened manual decapping tools trying to deprime military cases - some of them are just not worth messing with. Buy a tumbler - it is money well spent. I use mine to pre-clean cases (before sizing) to keep crap out of the dies and make sizing easier, and then again after sizing to clean lube off the cases. Use Walnut media instead of corn cob - it is harder, lasts longer, and requires much less tumbling time. It's the same price as corncob media.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-16-2009, 02:06 AM   #20

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Case sticking problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Sauce NARC View Post
sweet, and also damit. More equipment needed !

i knew i was going to need another die but i was going to try and skate by with out buying a case tumbler for a while but oh well overtime is good for now. What about a case trimmer? how bad do i need a trimmer?
As all have said-been there/done that. I tore the head off of one of the first 22-250Rem. when I first started. You can buy a stuck case remover, or you can make one. Once you have used one-piece of cake. If you only load .223,you can get by with a file-type trim die. After sizing case, install in file trim die, and file off any brass above the die. They can be had on e-bay for $10-15.00. I have an older RCBS rotary trimmer, with the collets,pilots for the cals. that I load, and I still prefer the file-type trim die instead. I have the file-type trim die in:.223,22-250,.243Win.,6MM Rem.and .308Win. I like the Dillon case lube, myself/but each to his own on that. PM me if you want Sauce, and I'll try to help you in any way that I can. PS: Call MidWay-tell them what happened-they and RCBS are GOOD people, they probably will send you a new sizer die/have you send the damaged one back. By the way the file type trim die IS a lot slower than the rotary to use.

NRA Life MEMBER 1976