clip

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > clip

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2008, 08:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default clip

If I leave my clip in a hot car can the bullets start going off from the heat?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-22-2008, 09:37 PM   #2

Not unless your car catches fire, then maybe.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:50 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8686 Times on 3760 Posts
Likes Given: 1334

No. However, repeated heating/cooling/heating/cooling is not good for ammo, and over a period of time, it may affect reliability.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:56 AM   #4

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

It would have to get really really hot. Like C3 said over and over and over is not good. but one time or two should not hurt it.

Old 05-23-2008, 04:40 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2691 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Even if the car catches fire there is little chance the ammo will "go off" in the conventional sense of the term. I have seen numerous rounds that sustained fire damage. Everyone had the bullets intact and the primer missing. When the temperature gets high enough to "cook off' the powder/primer, the pressures are not contained like they are in the chamber of a firearm. The lightest component, the primer, is the first to pop out. It does not go far and there is a flare off through the flash hole in the case. The bullet (the projectile) has far more mass (weight) and thus, far more inertia than the primer so it tends to stay put. Simple physics actually.

For clarification, the term "clip' is commonly misused. A clip generally is used to load a magazine. A clip generally holds the base of a cartridge. A clip generally does not have a spring. A magazine generally completely encloses a cartridge, has a spring under the cartridge to facilitate feeding.

A clip and a magazine are two totally different things.

I know, I know. I am probably being too literal. I choose to be specific about things to avoid confusion. The internal combustion device under the hood of the your automobile or truck is not a "motor", it is an engine. Thingie and whachamacallit are not normal parts of my vocabulary.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:51 AM   #6

i looked on youtube and there are some videos saying a mag is for like rifles and a clip is for pistols or something like that

Old 05-24-2008, 02:59 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8686 Times on 3760 Posts
Likes Given: 1334

You need a better source of info than youtube. The M-16 and 45 Auto both use a MAGAZINE. The M-1 Garand used an en bloc CLIP. It held cartridges. The SKS uses a stripper CLIP to load the fixed MAGAZINE of the rifle. My Mauser pistol uses a CLIP to hold cartridges until they are loaded into the MAGAZINE.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:17 AM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Amen c3.

Saying one thing and meaning another insures lousy communications, no matter the topic. Youtube seems to speak with the authority of a movie and we all know how realistic they are, right?