Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Cleaning tumbler media (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/cleaning-tumbler-media-68666/)

webbch 07-21-2012 05:56 PM

Cleaning tumbler media

I recall reading somewhere on here about someone cleaning their tumbler media periodically by putting it into a sock and running it in the washing machine.

After running about 6000+ brass pistol cases through my tumbler (of which I had added some case polish in some earlier loads), my corn cob media was looking pretty black and starting to take a bit longer to clean the brass.

I put it into a sock, and threw it in the washing machine, hot water, added standard clothes detergent, and let it rip (while my better half was out of the house). If I had remembered, I'd have done the double rinse, but I forgot. That corn cob media cleaned up NICE!! Like brand new. I did run a second load on the washer (empty) to clean it out afterwards :-)

I opted NOT to bake it in the oven at 200 for now to get out all the moisture. Instead, I've spread it out and will let it air dry (turning it once in awhile)

Anyway, just thought someone else might benefit from the info. And my thanks to the person who originally posted the idea in another thread - I can't seem to find it right now.

25-5 07-21-2012 06:15 PM

media

It also helps to put cut up strips of a used fabric softner sheet while tumbling brass. It picks up a lot of the dirt.

rjd3282 07-21-2012 09:04 PM

Try using walnut. I used corncob for years then I switched to walnut the brass cleans quicker and is brighter. I'll never use corncob again. Also if you use a polish in the media it doesn't clump like corncob does. Less dusty too.

beaglesam 07-21-2012 10:00 PM

Go to your local pet store and buy lizard bedding, it's walnut. I add some rouge that I got from a buddy of mine that was a tool maker before he retired. It's cheaper at a pet store than a gun store. It will shine your brass to better than new.

Axxe55 07-21-2012 10:06 PM

i just toss mine out when it gets too dirty. it's too cheap IMO, to waste the time cleaning it. but i am thinking about changing over to a walnut media for cleaning.

webbch 07-21-2012 10:42 PM

I actually have a bag of walnut, I just figured I'd use up the corn cob before switching. It just looks like the corn cob is going to last a lot longer now :-) I may have to try out the walnut just for fun now.

I probably spent about 10 minutes on this plus whatever it cost to run the washer (twice). At about $11-15 for new (I did about 6lbs), you're right - not a major cost savings. Still, might be useful for some.

BlueTurf 07-21-2012 10:51 PM

Tumbling media is pretty cheap if you consider how much use you can get out of it. I just toss mine out when I think it is no longer effective.

gunnut07 07-22-2012 01:07 AM

I use stainless steel pins in a liquid solution.