Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Cleaning the inside of brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2010, 12:54 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I too pick up a lot of range brass, and being cheap, shoot them till they fail. I mentioned my cleaning method a while back (i'm not sure which forum it was) and got blasted by a couple of guys with about 10 thousand posts between them so I did'nt bother arguing, but I still use it and have for many years. What I use is silica sand that you can pick up for about 4 dollars for 50 lb. I use a small cement mixer and pour in a couple capfuls of simple green. You just want the sand DAMP, if you get it WET it willtake quite a while to work. Anyway I let it run all night and in the morning the brass usually has a dull satin finish. Then I give the brass about 100 revolutions in the separator, and run it in some walnut for a couple hours, then separate again then run it through the corncob with brass polish for a couple hours. that usually gets inside, outside, and primer pockets nice and shiney. The guys that said it was a bad idea were worried about (maybe) scratching their dies and (maybe) the bore of the weapon. I have a friend that works at the Rock Island Arsenal and has been involved in lots of weapons testing and has access to some real sophisticated test equipment, explained the question and had him check my dies for scratches. There were some scratches, but not much different from HIS dies that had Never been exposed to sand. Both sets of dies had close to 50k rounds run through them. He said anytime you run metal against metal there are going to be scratches. This is an opinion issue, not a safety issue so use it if you want, or not. It DOES clean brass and is not messy or expensive. I did some experimenting with a vibrating tumbler and it works there also.....about 200 rounds of .45 ACP and cover with the silica sand add the simple green and check later.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:06 AM   #22

I use the new Hornady Ultra Sonic Cleaner as a first step. It cleans the gunk out of the inside, and the primer residue. It is not a polisher though so I then tumble them in my vibratory tumbler with treated corn cob for a final finish. Cases come out beautifully. It's an expensive set up but well worth the price and working on cases is never a bother.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:07 AM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the reply guys, I think I'm going to experiment with the suggestions yall gave me. First one I'll be trying is the washing in hot water with dawn. The slica idea is interesting and of course I'll be getting some walnut media to use regardless.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:47 AM   #24

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I recently read a tip from a guy on the Marlinowners site. Goes like this.
1-Go to GNC & buy a bottle of Citric Acid Powder
Choose your size-4oz; 1lb; or 5lb
2-Deprime cases to be cleaned
3-Get a plastic jug, put a Tablespoon of powder in, a squirt of dishwashing detergent, & fill to top with hot water.
4-Give it a good shake & let sit for an hour or so. I tried it & it cleans the primer pockets, as well as the inside of the cases. Then thoroughly rinse them off, lay them on a baking pan & dry them in a warm, (175) oven. They don't get REAL shiny, but they do get clean. jd45

Old 05-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5182 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 4399

[QUOTE=cpttango30;308250

there is no need to worry about what the inside of your brass looks like. The brass will be worthless long before the buildup of carbon in the case has an affect on your loads.

Just tumble them and don't worry about it.[/QUOTE]

Very good advice!

Golda Meier.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2579 Times on 1291 Posts
Likes Given: 246

It's been nearly three years, I hope he has his issue sorted.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman