Cleaning the inside of brass - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Cleaning the inside of brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2010, 02:23 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

For me it does. The walnut takes most of the abuse of cleaning. Plus I like it for pistol brass as the walnut has a small amount of oil in the hull adding a slight touch of lube to the case. So now my corn cob doesn't get that dirty so it does last longer. I also use Nufinish in my corn cob it is cheap I can get it at wal-mart and it last for ever 1 cap full in a bowl and have at it. That is just me it may not even make a difference but I do it because that is the way I do it.

I am the kind of person that finds something that works for them and hates to change it. Like brushing my teeth I have used crest since I was a kid so that is what I use i don't like changing it to something else even another kind of crest just give me the basic crest and call it a day. Laundry I buy tide because that is what my mom and my step-mom used it works I like it that is what I buy no matter what I don't look at prices I see the red bottle and the blue cap and get it. I did have to change from regular to HE because we got a kick ass Samsung washer and dryer A bigger washer than our old top load and we use less water than we did before to wash more cloths. I figured it out that with 5 loads a week we will save enough in 3 years to have paid for them so I think it was a steel. I didn't get the red metallic that I wanted because that was $200 more.

Last edited by cpttango30; 06-30-2010 at 08:44 PM.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:53 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Thanks for the info.

FYI, we got an HE washer and dryer about a year ago and we love those things. They do a great job, cheaper to operate and easier on your clothing.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 07-01-2010, 12:48 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2742 Times on 1436 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Anal Retentive, party of one!

Seriously, do not worry about the discolored insides of the brass. As long as there is not debris (like dried mud), you are good to go after running an hour or two in the tumbler. I currently use walnut media because I can get it cheap at Petco (lizard litter). I put the old media (corn cob or walnut) in nylon hose (panty hose) and wash it in the washing machine. Hot water, plenty of soap and a double rinse. Pour the wet, clean media into cookie sheets and bake at 200 degrees til dry. Add the polish of your choice and viola! I have Iosso and Midway polish for cleaning and a second tumbler with Flitz treated media for polishing.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-01-2010, 01:17 PM   #14

Oh spitty we use less water and less electricity because the cloths all dry on low for 30 minutes. They don't shrink as bad and quiet my washer is so quiet you can be in the hall and not tell it is running unless you hear the water sloshing.

Washer Samsung - 4.3 Cu. Ft. 12-Cycle Ultra Capacity High-Efficiency Washer - White - WF410ANW/XAA

Dryer Samsung - 7.4 Cu. Ft. 11-Cycle Electric Dryer - White - DV410AEW/XAA

The dryer one step up is the steam dryer.

Not to derail the thread any.....

Old 07-03-2010, 06:07 PM   #15

Default cleaning brass

Hello all! I'm new to the forum. Just a word of advise on tumbling brass AFTER resizing. I just finished 20 rounds of 375 H&H brass after sizing and found 2 cases that had a kernel of walnut media wedged in the flash hole. This could potentially cause a misfire, or poor ignition, so examine each case carefully. I usually tumble first before resizing, and this takes care of the problem.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:54 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Anal Retentive, Party of TWO, reporting, Sir!

For whomever was concerned about washing cases in hot water with Dawn dish washing liquid, I always do a hot water rinse/soak and agitate the cases in the clean water in the sink after the "wash cycle".

I prefer the walnut media, but cannot always find it at Bass Pro when I need it, so I often have to use the corncob media. I need to check out Petco for the lizard litter as per Robo's suggestion.

I have two tumblers, one is for really tarnished or dirty range pick-up brass which then spends several hours in that tumbler with the Lyman red media (with the jeweler's rouge in it). That red stuff will make really crappy looking brass shine like new gold jewelery! The red media can leave a residue which is another reason why I wash the cases again after lubing/re-sizing/de-priming.

I have had occasion where I needed to tumble cases after de-priming, but that requires me to clean-out the primer pockets and flash holes. I have a special home-made tool for that.

TXnorton

Last edited by TXnorton; 07-04-2010 at 08:58 AM.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunney67 View Post
Hello all! I'm new to the forum. Just a word of advise on tumbling brass AFTER resizing. I just finished 20 rounds of 375 H&H brass after sizing and found 2 cases that had a kernel of walnut media wedged in the flash hole. This could potentially cause a misfire, or poor ignition, so examine each case carefully. I usually tumble first before resizing, and this takes care of the problem.
I just make a solution of sulfur, Potasium Nitratie, Charcoal and some 100% grain alcohol. I then take zigzag paper and soak it and then dry it. I then use a special case to cut rounds out and glue them over the flash hole.

Last edited by cpttango30; 07-04-2010 at 10:55 PM.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:33 PM   #18

Liked 1845 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 1215

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunney67 View Post
Hey Gunney. Welcome to the group. Can you stop by the introductions section and tell us a little about yourself?

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:28 PM   #19

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts

I have found that walnut cleans the brass faster, but only corncob puts that high polish shine on I want.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:34 PM   #20

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
For me it does. The walnut takes most of the abuse of cleaning. Plus I like it for pistol brass as the walnut has a small amount of oil in the hull adding a slight touch of lube to the case. So now my corn cob doesn't get that dirty so it does last longer. I also use Nufinish in my corn cob it is cheap I can get it at wal-mart and it last for ever 1 cap full in a bowl and have at it. That is just me it may not even make a difference but I do it because that is the way I do it.

I am the kind of person that finds something that works for them and hates to change it. Like brushing my teeth I have used crest since I was a kid so that is what I use i don't like changing it to something else even another kind of crest just give me the basic crest and call it a day. Laundry I buy tide because that is what my mom and my step-mom used it works I like it that is what I buy no matter what I don't look at prices I see the red bottle and the blue cap and get it. I did have to change from regular to HE because we got a kick ass Samsung washer and dryer A bigger washer than our old top load and we use less water than we did before to wash more cloths. I figured it out that with 5 loads a week we will save enough in 3 years to have paid for them so I think it was a steel. I didn't get the red metallic that I wanted because that was $200 more.
How much time and money you want to spend? A rotary tumbler using wet media gets them squeaky clean. I know a guy on ammobrasstrader who uses a rotary. Here's his method.
Quote:
I deprime all the cases, throw them into a rotary tumbler, with RCBS Sidewinder liquid cleaner and and steel shot, usually 3 sizes, 7 1/2, 4 and bb. Tumble for 4 to 12 hours depending on the case need. When done I use a RCBS case seperator, the one with the lid, to seperate the cases and liquid and shot. I put the cases in a bucket, rinse them, use a plastic cooking colander to remove the excess water, rinse one more time, put a second plastic colander on top of the first, shake the water off and out of the cases and then by a handful I put them in a towel to remove any excess water, just shake them around don't try and dry each case, and then I put them in a big dillon vibratory tumbler with corn cob and let them dry for about 1/2 hour. Then seperate them in a Dillon seperator.

Bottle neck pistol cases and rifle cases, if they are extremely dirty I throw them in a vibratory tumbler with with walnut hull for about 1 hour to knock the dirt off so that I don't screw up my dies. I size, trim and then clean as above.

I store the shot in plastic containers with some of the liquid left over from the cleaning. When it is time to clean more cases I add water to the container, shake, empty and repeat until the liquid is clear.

I have several rotary tumblers, a double large barrel that I can do up tp 100 50 BMG cases at a time, a half gallon, a double small barrel, probably a pint each and a single pint barrel. I can clean as many or as little a any time.
Believe me, even his primer pockets come out shiny.