Cleaning brass question on primers - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Cleaning brass question on primers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfraga1978 View Post
How do you get the carbon build up out of the primer pocket then?
You use the old primer pocket cleaning tool that has been around for a long time. It has a screwdriver-type handle with stiff wires bunched up on the end. It works great for cleaning primer pockets and doesn't take very long.

This is the type I have been using for about 30 years. There are similar types made by different manufacturers.

rcbs09574.jpg  

Last edited by BlueTurf; 03-01-2012 at 06:56 PM.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf

You use the old primer pocket cleaning tool that has been around for a long time. It has a screwdriver-type handle with stiff wires bunched up on the end. It works great for cleaning primer pockets and doesn't take very long.
Yes that's what I use on the really stuck on stuff. I was referring to a progressive press that de-primes then seats a new primer. That defeats the point of having a progressive press if you have to run everything through twice anyway to clean to primer pocket.

High angle hell. Death and destruction from above.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:42 PM   #13

Liked 2521 Times on 1133 Posts
Likes Given: 2418

I have progressive presses it's no big deal to run the case thru again. It is an extra step but if you want clean primer pockets it's your only choice. I can run cases thru that step twice and still be many times faster than a single stage press. With the RCBS prep center you can also remove the crimp on military brass. You can prep hundreds of cases in an hour. I've thought about getting a single stage press just to decap.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:53 PM   #14

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am new to reloading but I bought a Lee Universal decapping die that works on all calibers and does not require that the cases be cleaned. I do find a big difference in cleaning the decapped brass. The primer pockets come out nice and clean.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:34 PM   #15

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfraga1978 View Post
How do you get the carbon build up out of the primer pocket then?
Unfortunately this is a manual operation. If your shooting on target rounds (ie: 1moa), you should clean up the primer pockets. If your not into super accurate shooting, you can reload them and be happy. However, I clean all of my primer pockets, both for the MG's and my SA M1a. Why because the crud that is left in the primer pocket after sizing gets into the priming station and then proceeds to gum it all up.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:05 AM   #16

I don't see a problem with taking the time to clean the primer pockets. It takes just a few seconds per round to do this. I don't mind doing this because I enjoy reloading and find it to be very relaxing. I have known people who do not clean the primer pockets and I have seen carbon buildup in their brass that is so thick the primer won't seat properly. I have been reloading for about 30 years and still do not have a progressive press. I am still using my RCBS Rock Chucker press. I don't even use a powder thrower; I weigh the powder charge for each round. Cleaning the primer pockets is no big deal.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #17

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I always tumble my cases and then size and decap. Then I put them back in the tumbler for about an hour to remove the sizing lubricant.
Always check all the flashholes for cleaning media and then clean the pockets.
Cleaning the pockets adds consistency to your reloading and is almost absolutely necessary if you load for autoloading military rifles such as M1 and M1A.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:51 PM   #18

After my cleaned and polished rifle brass is sized I take a rag and some 99% isopropyl alcohol and wipe the lubricant off the cases. The alcohol removes the lubricant without leaving a film. I use Hornady One Shot for sizing lube and it works great and is not messy.