Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Cleaning brass question on primers (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/cleaning-brass-question-primers-59129/)

BullseyePrecision 03-01-2012 01:59 AM

Cleaning brass question on primers

Do u remove the primers before putting them in the tumbler for cleaning or does it matter?

littlejimmy 03-01-2012 02:05 AM

I remove the primers because that cavity gets a lot of build up. Just be prepared to poke stuck pieces of media out of the primer hole...

rjd3282 03-01-2012 02:08 AM

I clean first because I have to run the brass thru the sizing die to decap. I don't want to run dirty brass thru the die. I have an RCBS case prep center that I use to clean primer pockets.

BlueTurf 03-01-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjd3282 (Post 724773)
I clean first because I have to run the brass thru the sizing die to decap. I don't want to run dirty brass thru the die. I have an RCBS case prep center that I use to clean primer pockets.

Same here, I don't want to run dirty brass through my dies. Fired brass usually has all kinds of nasty grit on it that can scratch the dies. My reloading dies are just like any other equipment I use and I try to take care of them.

littlejimmy 03-01-2012 02:13 PM

Good point. I have only been reloading a couple of years, and didn't really consider whether or not I was fouling my dies. I mostly reload pistol where there isnt as much drag and lube isnt required. It probably really makes a difference on rifle casings.

cfraga1978 03-01-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjd3282

I throw them in the tumbler for an hour or so just to knock of the dirt and grit. Then I size/ decap and expand the mouth. Then I put them back in the tumbler over night. Its more work but they get nice and clean without having to use a primer pocket cleaner. I do have to poke out the flash hole once in a while.

BullseyePrecision 03-01-2012 05:44 PM

I have a progressive reloader so decapping then takinging them out and cleaning them would be a pain.

cfraga1978 03-01-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BullseyePrecision
I have a progressive reloader so decapping then takinging them out and cleaning them would be a pain.

How do you get the carbon build up out of the primer pocket then?

BullseyePrecision 03-01-2012 06:19 PM

I havent done any yet so I dont know. Do u have a progressive?

cfraga1978 03-01-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BullseyePrecision
I havent done any yet so I dont know. Do u have a progressive?

No just an old school single stage press.