Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Clean Reliable Powder for 9mm Needed (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/clean-reliable-powder-9mm-needed-43566/)

Thebiker 06-07-2011 05:09 PM

Clean Reliable Powder for 9mm Needed

I have been reloading for 20+ years, primarily revolver and shotgun. I have also reloaded 45ACP & 9mm in the past using Unique, but didn't care for it. It functioned fine but was dirty (MHO).

Due to the powder shortage we had after the current administration took office, I bought what was available at the time. Now that I'm back to reloading 9mm I have found that the SR 4756 that I have in stock works fine for my .357, 44SP & Mag doesn't get it done for my 9mm.

The problem I'm running into is stovepipes using SR4756 (WSP primers) even at max charges (5.2 gr with 115gr RN).

So, I'm not looking for anyone to commit themselves to a specific powder charge (in this age "liability" sucks) but just a clean powder (cleaner than Unique) that gets the job done.

The problem is not the pistol. I'm using a Sig P239 with several thousand rounds through it and a P226 that I have close to a thousand rounds on. No problems except with my reloads.

I have done a fair amount of trouble shooting on this problem: checked the rounds for sizing with a case gauge, checked C.O.L. and length of the finished rounds. Used reference weights to make sure the scale is properly calibrated and checked that the powder measure is consistent.

I have come to the conclusion that the powder just is not suitable for this application.

So, I would welcome a clean, reliable powder recommedation for 9mm Luger since I don't want to just start randomly buying powder.

Thanks for any help offered.

anm2_man 06-08-2011 12:24 AM

Since your in the greater Phoenix area, I guess you could come and sue me anytime.

But I have been using Tightgroup for several years and its a pretty clean powder and has little heat issues ( I live here also).

My loads use Berrys 115grn plated projectiles. I use Winchester small pistol primers. My load of Tightgroup is 4.1grns and I get 1229 FPS with this load. Now I shoot most of these thru my SUBGUN (S&W 76), but I get the same results from my glock 19.

So I hope this helps you.

jpattersonnh 06-08-2011 12:52 AM

Unique! . . . .

MidnightExpress 06-08-2011 02:56 AM

the last 9mm and 45ACP reloads I shot were loaded with Hodgdon Clays, no
cycling issues and was cleaner than the bulk rounds I would shoot from
Remington and Winchester

the Alliant Blue Dot was the same, clean and no cycling problems

Thebiker 06-08-2011 03:19 AM

Anm2_Man,
Thanks for the offer. I have heard good things about Titegroup from guys that I shot with in NH some years ago. If you've been getting good results, I'll have to give it a try.

By the way, I am also using the Berry plated 155grn RN for the 9mm. I also use Berry with .38/.357. Nice round and no exposed lead.

MidnightExpress,
Appreciate the Hodgdon Clays recommendation. I have some of that in stock. I've used it for my 12 gauge for years. Cleanest powder I ever used. I may build 25 rounds just to see if I get good results.

Thanks guys.

Gatekeeper 06-08-2011 03:54 AM

A bit pricey, but Vihtavuori N320 feels very soft, burns super clean, cool and gives SD's in the single digits through the chrono with my CZ.
Just another suggestion

Rick1967 06-08-2011 04:55 AM

Another vote for Titegroup here. That is my favorite pistol powder hands down.

stalkingbear 06-08-2011 01:07 PM

I haven't tried Titegroup but can personally vouch for Clays being clean and consistent.

Davo45 06-08-2011 01:20 PM

I've used Bullseye and Red Dot as well as Accurate #5 with good results.

robocop10mm 06-08-2011 11:50 PM

The newer formulation of Red Dot is pretty darn clean. Cost effective and available almost everywhere reloading supplies are sold. I got some the other day and found that the price has actually gone DOWN almost $1/lb!!