Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Clean Ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2011, 11:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Clean Ammo

I ran across a good deal with a friend needing some cash and got 2 boxes of Winchester Clean in 45 Auto for $10 a piece. After a trip to the range I found my 1911 looked almost as clean as when I left for the range. I used about 30 or so of the rounds in the 1911. 30 rounds of anything shows in my 1911, whether it's factory or reloads. It got me to thinking, how the hell do I make my reloads cleaner?

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-14-2011, 12:28 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5117 Times on 2663 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Different powders have different shooting characteristics.

I worry more about consistancy and accuracy than how clean it shoots. Unique is my favorite for that reason for 45acp.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-14-2011, 01:44 PM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I use titegroup in my 45 loads and it take 2 passes with a patch to clean the barrel. Thats it. Some of the most clean burning powder out there.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:20 AM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

If I want accuracy in a 45, I use AA2, AA5, Red Dot, and Unique.
Never have made "clean" as a goal.
TightGroup doesn't give me as tight of groups as the above.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:55 AM   #5

If I went to the range and came home with clean hands and a clean gun, my wife would not be happy with me! and telling her I used clean burning powder would not go over well

You may find me dead in a ditch one day, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass!

Old 06-17-2011, 11:10 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've read that Winchester Clean uses "lead-free" primers, which supposedly only lasts about 10 years rather than more than that with typical primers. I've never kept ammo for more than 5 years so the lifespan of them doesnt much matter to me. I cant seem to find any primers that claim to have any characteristics that would make things any cleaner. Anybody know of any?
I suppose some of you must think I'm nutty as a squirrel turd to worry about clean ammo, but I wouldnt mind trying to reproduce the results the WinClean came out with since they were consistent and clean all at the same time.
What about burning characteristics of different shaped powders? Ball vs stick, or flake vs ball? What's your experience with any of that good stuff? Like for examply IMR-800x used to leave flakes all over me, no matter how much or little I used of it, where as when I used Unique producing the same velocity it didnt tend to leave behind as much as IMR-800x did.
I'm just trying to get pointed in the right direction to reproduce the results of the WinCLean as best as I can as a reloader.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:56 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I put Comet in mine.
Scrubs the bore as I shoot.

JUST KIDDING!
JUST KIDDING!

I found on Winchester's site.
No lead. For indoor ranges. Tin core bullets.
Now we all learned a little.
I don't see it in 45. Just 9mm and 40.
I thought that was odd.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:35 PM   #8

Liked 665 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 671

I have a box of old Win clean ammo, I always thought that it was because the bullet is completely incased in copper. Powders are funny, W231 is pretty dirty , not bad in 9x19 and .45acp, but is pretty clean in 10mm. Unique is much cleaner. In my .357 it is 296 all the way!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.