Chrony recommendation, pls
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Chrony recommendation, pls

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Default Chrony recommendation, pls

I have a Shooting Chrony Beta Master. I am fed up with it spitting "Err" messages if someone else fires a shot four stalls away from me. It's really useless unless I am at my local shooting range alone.

Is there a chrony that is not so sensitive to a muzzle blast that is around 20 ft. to the side? I can read ads, what I'm looking for is first-hand experience. Or am I looking for something that doesn't exist?

Thanks for your input.

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Last edited by Rocky7; 12-10-2013 at 06:45 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-11-2013, 05:20 AM   #2

Liked 158 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 84

My advise would be to non fatally shoot the SOB. My 10mm had a beef with the same model you have. I bent the metal back into place, measured the photo sensors, compared the readings with a different chrony, said four hail marys and I can now safely shoot next to someone without seeing the dreaded err on the screen.

Sometimes things need a good beat down.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #3

I have been tempted, believe me.

Actually, I did shoot the support rods off one side this summer. I was focused so much on which target I was shooting with which rifle that I didn't make enough adjustment at the bench. One of my kids was with me shooting her .22. I shoot - BLAM! My kid says: "Dad, you just shot your chronograph!" with a big smirk. That was a little embarrassing for sure but easily fixed with two new support rods.

If I shoot it again, it ain't getting up.

So, what chrony do you use now?

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 12-12-2013, 01:38 AM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Rocky,I feel your pain.
I never take my chrono to a public range.You spend more time resetting it than you do shooting bullets through it.

The next one that I'm going to buy is the one from MagnetoSpeed. I have seen one getting used at the range,and the owner swears by it. It also has gotten lots of good reviews,as well as some great fps comparison test against traditional style chrono's. They aren't cheap,but for the ability to quickly set it up on almost any style of firearm,and the reliability of the readings from them,it seems like it would be worth the cost.

http://www.magnetospeed.com/

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 12-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #5

Thx, that's interesting for sure. It would change the way I shoot and fiddle around with loads, though. I like to take a few rifles to the range and rotate through them. This helps to keep barrels from getting hot and avoids boredom. The data helps me zero in on loads that are very consistent shot-to-shot and at or close to my desired MV. This chrony would not be easy to work with in that respect. Still........very interesting piece of machinery. I can see why it would not tend to pick up stray muzzle blasts.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 575

It would only take a few seconds to swap it from one barrel to another. You'd spend less time switching it out on your rifles,than you would resetting the chrono you have now.
I only use mine at the house anymore.Once I do my load testing at the range,I'll load up the best loads,and then set-up the chrono at the house and get the ballistic info. It's not worth the trouble doing it at the range.
There's a vendor on Snipers Hide that sells the MagnetoSpeed unit for $50 less than MSRP to that forum's members.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 12-12-2013, 10:40 PM   #7

Thx for the suggestion. I was mulling that over, too - maybe get my best/accurate loads at the range and then measure them with the crony. It would take away some data that I consider now as I'm working up a load but I could probably do without it. I'm a hunter, after all, and the bullets don't really all have to go into the same hole.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:13 AM   #8

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

I've been hanging onto a friend's RCBS chrony, you know the one that looks like a big ugly bullet. It's got some neat features and it packs away into itself which is nice, but most importantly I've never experienced the problem you're having now. I've even 'missed' it on accident and got no error message or data for that matter.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:36 AM   #9

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdIron44 View Post
I've been hanging onto a friend's RCBS chrony, you know the one that looks like a big ugly bullet. It's got some neat features and it packs away into itself which is nice, but most importantly I've never experienced the problem you're having now. I've even 'missed' it on accident and got no error message or data for that matter.
AGREED

I have the exact same unit from RCBS and have never had any problems with it.....remarkably spot on....

Old 12-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #10

Thanks, guys. I've seen that one but, like you, dismissed it as too ugly. Whoops....