Cheapest ammunition? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Cheapest ammunition?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hawkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: austin,tx
Posts: 4,518
Liked 3192 Times on 1905 Posts
Likes Given: 2253

Default

22 is and always will be THE CHEAPEST. there is a difference between price and availability. even at the absolute MOST ridiculous level of 22 price gouging, the price was only starting to approach the price of 9mm.

the 22 prob is temporary. however, whenever you see 22 at a decent price from here on out, i would pick up a brick. i'm at the point (never thought it would happen) where i will keep 2000 rounds of 22 or more at all times. its cheap and small, so there is no reason not to keep a decent supply so that you can shoot when the next drought comes. its sad that this is how it is...but it just is....

9mm is fairly cheap for a centerfire round.....but if you want "shoot all day w/o hurting the wallet" cheap.....22 is the last word.

__________________
hawkguy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:15 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bluez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,337
Liked 412 Times on 268 Posts
Likes Given: 1509

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumman View Post
Yeah, if you are going to buy a gun strictly for target shooting. 22 is the way to go. If you want to defend yourself with it. 9mm is probably your cheapest route.
What he said
__________________
https://www.numbersusa.com/content/

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

EVERY DAY MEN WHO WILL FOLLOW ORDERS TO KILL YOU, EXERCISE. DO YOU?
bluez is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Vincine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Adirondack Mts.
Posts: 3,484
Liked 1899 Times on 983 Posts
Likes Given: 1440

Default

The other things about your question are:

1) There's .22 and then there's .22. The cheapest rimfire ammo is inconsistent, prone to FTF, FTE or other issues. The top quality match ammo is consistent, reliable, etc., and is as expensive as centerfire. There was lots of choice in between when it was available.

2) I can shoot all day with my .22s, it's easy. I wouldn't want to with my 9mm. People can post all they want about 'practicing the fundamentals', but shooting larger calibers isn't about initial sight picture, it's about regaining the target and pulling off follow up shots. I'd never have a whole of that in me with 9mm. It hurts my wrist just thinking about it.

__________________
"Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it's boring and I go back to being me."
"You might as well be yourself, people won’t like you anyway."
"Tres verbo dictom"
Vincine is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hawkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: austin,tx
Posts: 4,518
Liked 3192 Times on 1905 Posts
Likes Given: 2253

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
The other things about your question are:

1) There's .22 and then there's .22. The cheapest rimfire ammo is inconsistent, prone to FTF, FTE or other issues. The top quality match ammo is consistent, reliable, etc., and is as expensive as centerfire. There was lots of choice in between when it was available.
i agree with cheap 22 bulk ammo i expect some ftf and malfunctions, normally 1 every 100-300 rounds. i can live with that for 3-5 cents a shot.

HOWEVER.....i have almost ZERO problems with CCI.....i consider it quality (not THE best) 22 ammo, and it still goes 7-8 cents a shot. compare that to the CHEAPEST 9mm i have seen recently at around 30 cents a shot.

NO COMPARISON on price i'm afraid.
__________________
hawkguy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:07 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Vincine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Adirondack Mts.
Posts: 3,484
Liked 1899 Times on 983 Posts
Likes Given: 1440

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
i agree with cheap 22 bulk ammo i expect some ftf and malfunctions, normally 1 every 100-300 rounds. i can live with that for 3-5 cents a shot. .
I got way more than that with the cheap stuff.

CCI is absolutely the best bang for the buck, absolutely. I'd love to get a case of 'Standard Velocity' for the bolt, and 'Mini Mags' for the 10/22 & Mk III.

Eley .22 LR Match EPS is .30 per round at Champion's Choice, and that's not even the top shelf. The Eley .22LR Tenex EPS goes for .39 cents a round.

Here's what people at 'Rimfire Central' are paying for 22lr. ammo, more or less.

Acceptable, 0.067;

Good, 0.121;

Better, 0.156;

Because the number of people paying more than 0.25 PPR for the Best ammo is 15, and the TOTAL of people paying less than 0.25 is 26, and because 'more than 0.25' can be 0.30, or more, I've posted results with & without the more than 0.25 data.

Best without the >0.25 data is 0.173;

Best with the >0.25 data is 0.200
__________________
"Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it's boring and I go back to being me."
"You might as well be yourself, people won’t like you anyway."
"Tres verbo dictom"
Vincine is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:17 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hawkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: austin,tx
Posts: 4,518
Liked 3192 Times on 1905 Posts
Likes Given: 2253

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
I got way more than that with the cheap stuff.

CCI is absolutely the best bang for the buck, absolutely. I'd love to get a case of 'Standard Velocity' for the bolt, and 'Mini Mags' for the 10/22 & Mk III.

Eley .22 LR Match EPS is .30 per round at Champion's Choice, and that's not even the top shelf. The Eley .22LR Tenex EPS goes for .39 cents a round.

Here's what people at 'Rimfire Central' are paying for 22lr. ammo, more or less.

Acceptable, 0.067;

Good, 0.121;

Better, 0.156;

Because the number of people paying more than 0.25 PPR for the Best ammo is 15, and the TOTAL of people paying less than 0.25 is 26, and because 'more than 0.25' can be 0.30, or more, I've posted results with & without the more than 0.25 data.

Best without the >0.25 data is 0.173;

Best with the >0.25 data is 0.200
fair enough....but there is still NO QUESTION that 22 ammo is the cheapest ammo you can buy from factory.

22 cheapest- less than 5 cents a round
22 most expensive- maybe 30-40 cents a round (the ely match ammo i bought was $9 for 50)

9mm cheapest- 25-35 cents a round..more right now!
9mm most expensive- $1 or more a shot

no argument can be made that 9mm is less expensive than 22, unless you compare the absolute most expensive 22 against the absolute cheapest 9mm.

now....it that an accurate comparison of cost?

as to which the OP wants....if they are simply looking for the least expensive to shoot, the obvious answer is 22.
__________________

Last edited by hawkguy; 10-20-2013 at 09:20 PM.
hawkguy is offline  
Vincine Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:03 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Vincine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Adirondack Mts.
Posts: 3,484
Liked 1899 Times on 983 Posts
Likes Given: 1440

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
fair enough....but there is still NO QUESTION that 22 ammo is the cheapest ammo you can buy from factory. . . . . .
Well yeah, given equal quality. I guess my point is the more affordable .22lr stuff goes first and what's left is the high end .22lr vs. the bulk 9mm, or something.

Personally, I'm considering air guns just because there's scads of .22 pellets around, the .22 AG rifles are good to about 50y - 60y, and regular .22lr isn't stable past 70 yards anyway.

So if economics is the key criteria, the OP should look into AGs if target shooting is his purpose. You could get several hundred .22 pellets for cost of one box of .22lr. There's a lot less restrictions on AGs too.
__________________
"Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it's boring and I go back to being me."
"You might as well be yourself, people won’t like you anyway."
"Tres verbo dictom"

Last edited by Vincine; 10-20-2013 at 11:14 PM.
Vincine is offline  
hawkguy Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:07 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hawkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: austin,tx
Posts: 4,518
Liked 3192 Times on 1905 Posts
Likes Given: 2253

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
Well yeah, given equal quality. I guess my point is the more affordable .22lr stuff goes first and what's left is the high end .22lr vs. the bulk 9mm, or something.

Personally, I'm considering air guns just because there's scads of .22 pellets around, the .22 AG rifles are good to about 50y - 60y, and regular .22lr isn't stable past 70 yards anyway.

So if economics is the key criteria, the OP should look into AGs if target shooting is the his purpose. You could get several hundred .22 pellets for cost of one box of .22lr. There's a lot less restrictions on AGs too.
good point.....but the only thing about air guns......no BANG! LMAO!

lately i have scored 22 cheapo bulk with (semi) regularity. i think we're gonna be good in 1-2 months IF there isn't another panic.
__________________
hawkguy is offline  
Vincine Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:07 AM   #19
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DrFootball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Arizona(Fmr. NYC & L.I.)
Posts: 8,039
Liked 3373 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy

good point.....but the only thing about air guns......no BANG! LMAO!

lately i have scored 22 cheapo bulk with (semi) regularity. i think we're gonna be good in 1-2 months IF there isn't another panic.
I pretty much have to agree with that! At one point I had less the 1K. Now we have well over 3K of assd. 22's including some match stuff(Eley & Federal auto match, make up about 1K). Had to buy some Remington Thunderbolts this past week,..but I'll shoot them first....
I'm not buying any this week but next week I'll get to DICKS and buy a few bricks...
__________________
askdrfootball@gmail.com

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
DrFootball is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:25 AM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Vincine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Adirondack Mts.
Posts: 3,484
Liked 1899 Times on 983 Posts
Likes Given: 1440

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
good point.....but the only thing about air guns......no BANG! LMAO!
Hatson 65BT=120 decibel air rifle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
lately i have scored 22 cheapo bulk with (semi) regularity. i think we're gonna be good in 1-2 months IF there isn't another panic.
So, . . you're thinking I should hold off on a PCP system?
__________________
"Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it's boring and I go back to being me."
"You might as well be yourself, people won’t like you anyway."
"Tres verbo dictom"
Vincine is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
What are some of the cheapest 308 rifles? DerickVonD Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion 13 02-12-2013 05:18 AM
The Best Cheapest AR-15 Uptown_General_Roc AR-15 Discussion 12 12-13-2012 08:19 PM
Cheapest 1911 Prorebel 1911 Forum 23 09-12-2012 10:54 AM
Cheapest NvRbanArms Semi-Auto Handguns 15 02-02-2012 02:17 AM
Is hollow point ammunition any noiser than any other ammunition? winds-of-change Ammunition & Reloading 30 09-08-2010 01:18 AM