change charge based on bullet manufacturer?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > change charge based on bullet manufacturer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default change charge based on bullet manufacturer?

I tried a search on this using a few different wording and came up emtpy.

Backstory: New to relaoding and haven't loaded my first round yet. As you know, it's slim pickings in regards to component availability.

At this point I'm just waiting on my powder to arrive and I'm all set to go. I'll be loading 9mm to start and once I figure out what I'm doing, I'll be limited to 500 rounds as that's the max number of bullets I have right now.

So here is my question: If I get my recipe figured out for 9mm and I run out of bullets, I'll need to buy more. As long as I get the same weight bullet, would I need to redo my recipe? Testing a new powder charge?

I know the powder charge changes based on bullet weight and powder manufacturer. What I'm asking is what if just the bullet maker changes, all else remaining the same?

Hope I've provided the correct information and if I need to restate something, please let me know.

thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-31-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 232

You will need to keep an eye on seating depth. Even bullets with the same weight can have a different shape and that can change how far down in the case the seating stem will push them. If the base of the bullet is farther down in the case you will get higher pressure readings, esp with a small case like a 9mm and fast burning pistol powders. Take it slow,be careful, double check everything and enjoy.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:08 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK3220 View Post
You will need to keep an eye on seating depth. Even bullets with the same weight can have a different shape and that can change how far down in the case the seating stem will push them. If the base of the bullet is farther down in the case you will get higher pressure readings, esp with a small case like a 9mm and fast burning pistol powders. Take it slow,be careful, double check everything and enjoy.
Appreciate the info. I definately from the school of "better safe than sorry" escpecially where explosions are involved.

One I get a few recipes under my belt and components are easier to come buy, i'll be able to buy the exact ingredients to match an "already known" recipe.

Now if only my damn powder would get here. LOL

Old 01-31-2013, 10:38 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Any change in component requires a new load be worked up. Back off 10% and work up, looking for pressure signs

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-31-2013, 10:45 PM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Any change in component requires a new load be worked up. Back off 10% and work up, looking for pressure signs
Good advise. Case cleaner finally arrived today.

Waiting on:
1) Powder feeder
2) Powder
3) Powder feeder riser
4) Scale

All but the powder will be here by early next week. Midway is showing my powder in stock now (Ordered a few weeks back)...hopefully it'll ship soon.

537182_10152477856370710_1539431530_n.jpg

Old 01-31-2013, 10:48 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 337 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Anything you change is going to require a change in the recipe. I loaded my first run of .45ACP with 185gr copper SWC. 4.6gr of Bullseye. Next I decided to make some cheaper rounds and bought some lead in the same weight and still SWC. Those require 5.3gr of Bullseye. I decided to write everything about the load down. In the future, I might get some more of a bullet that I had already loaded and that will save some steps of having to rework the load.

The other thing that I found out is to got with 10 rounds laoded at one recipe and make 10 rounds while moving up on the load chart. That way you're not making up a bunch of rounds that don't work right. Just because it is in the book doesn't mean they will cycle your gun. Especially at the lower end. I run my .45ACP in a SA Loaded 1911 and I imagine that I would need a lighter slide to make the lower charged rounds work.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:51 PM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
Anything you change is going to require a change in the recipe. I loaded my first run of .45ACP with 185gr copper SWC. 4.6gr of Bullseye. Next I decided to make some cheaper rounds and bought some lead in the same weight and still SWC. Those require 5.3gr of Bullseye. I decided to write everything about the load down. In the future, I might get some more of a bullet that I had already loaded and that will save some steps of having to rework the load.

The other thing that I found out is to got with 10 rounds laoded at one recipe and make 10 rounds while moving up on the load chart. That way you're not making up a bunch of rounds that don't work right. Just because it is in the book doesn't mean they will cycle your gun. Especially at the lower end. I run my .45ACP in a SA Loaded 1911 and I imagine that I would need a lighter slide to make the lower charged rounds work.
Yup, bought a new spiral notebook today to use to track my recipes. It's funny, I'm a high-teck computer geek and could easiler track this in the computer, but for some reason I like the old school approach of actually writing it down.