Chambering Round, Not Firing It

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Chambering Round, Not Firing It

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 06:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Chambering Round, Not Firing It

Is it bad to chamber a round over and over but not fire it?

In terms of carrying a bullet in the chamber for about a week, removing it, going to the shooting range, firing a different type of ammunition, then putting the original bullet back in.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-04-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

It won't matter in a revolver, but it can in a semi auto. As the slide slams the bullet into the chamber, it may set the bullet back a bit in the case. Do that a number of times, get the bullet far enough in the case, and you can wind up with an overpressured round.

I keep a cocked & locked 1911 on the nightstand. If I unload it for any reason, I put the chambered round in the bottom of the magazine and load a new cartridge. I also make sure to regularly shoot the ammo that's been in there so that it's all rotated.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-04-2011, 09:23 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2984 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 332

With mine I just measure the ammo that I have chambered a few times with a caliper. If isn't shorter than the untouched stuff, it's GTG. A couple thousandths of an inch shouldn't be a big problem. So far I haven't observed any ammo setback with my SD ammo. I keep an eye on it because 40 S&W has apparently developed a reputation for being a PITA about it.

NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 04-05-2011, 01:21 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5803 Times on 3030 Posts
Likes Given: 398

i also measure mine and check them so far i havent ever noticed any setback in my SD rounds. it happened a lot with hp ammo years ago. but its a good idea to either cycle it out like CA does or measure it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...